You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  Using server lists instead of IPs

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Using server lists instead of IPs

Assain

06 December 2004 21:14 (UK time)

How about having a server list instead of asking people on the fourms their IP to orginise a specific time to multi-play? This would be easier because if you just feel like seeing who is on multiplayer that moment and not having to spend a day or two orginizing a multiplayer game. Also, not all people who will play M2 will interact on the fourms :\. You could just have a couple of Offical Servers, or allow the player to host thier own server in an Options menu or somthing. What do you think?

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

LavaBall

09 December 2004 14:28 (UK time)

You know your idea is good but i dont it would be implemented even i like it to be implemented but sorry the Answer is no.......

Assain

10 December 2004 01:42 (UK time)

How can you make that descion? Its JB's game not yours.... :p

Zable Fahr

10 December 2004 09:32 (UK time)

Not to mention that giving out your IP to complete strangers in a public forum isn't always a good idea. A server list would help prevent a lot of security issues. Barring that, I think it shouldn't be too hard to make some sort of instant messenger program (maybe a plugin?) that acts as a wrapper and launches M2 in multiplayer mode when people agree to a game.

LavaBall

11 December 2004 10:10 (UK time)

I disagree with server listing i prefer IP multiplayer

Reason:Simple contact somebody you REALLY trusth and email him your IP organize the game with yourselfs then simple play is that a problem for C.O.L?

I hate it with server lists games with servers lists 1 day have to know that they are Illegall!

Zable Fahr

11 December 2004 18:45 (UK time)

I think if there was a server list IP support wouldn't necessarily go away; wouldn't a server simply organize IPs? Unless you were thinking that games should take place on a server, which in my opinion isn't worth it due to the amount of extra processing the server would have to take.

The main advantage of a server is you get to play people you don't know.

Maybe a really hacked up version of an IRC chat room built into M2 could work. Some bot could respond to requests to create games between users, obtain the IP's, then communicate with M2 to setup the game. That way James wouldn't neccessarily have to code up an entire server framework :-)

LavaBall

12 December 2004 08:12 (UK time)

I still disagree with server list multiplayer.

Assain

12 December 2004 23:27 (UK time)

Besides, whenever i see a game that has server listing, i have ALWAYS seen an option to connect directly to an IP (like in M1). Your not losing anything by adding a server option or what Zable said, have a 3rd party program that can launch IPs into the game, or like what I said, have it built in-game.

Edited: 14 December 2004 02:26

James Bunting
13 December 2004 01:27 (UK time)

Its basically a matter of making a master server app. The main problem is finding a server to run it on (I am not allowed to host games on my server cos its 2003 Web Ed).

Assain

14 December 2004 02:28 (UK time)

Could there be an option in the Options menu for multiplayer servers where you can create your own server? Also, how about multi-player bot players too? (doesnt have to be anything specail, ever seen the game Soldat? sorta like that with the bots and the fact that you can register servers on your IP in the options menu)

jayjay

20 December 2004 07:08 (UK time)

what we need is a master server

James Bunting
20 December 2004 14:25 (UK time)

Quite right, the issue is finding a master server that you can register your server with.

Perhaps we could get in touch with the guys at Kali.net? I dunno if they do stuff like this (free of charge).

James.

jayjay

22 December 2004 07:53 (UK time)

well you can download the program free but i dont think its compatible....ps: if we get master server it has to be compatible with meteor 1 too because meteor 1 is fun too

Edited: 22 December 2004 07:55

Assain

22 December 2004 14:38 (UK time)

Well, you'll just have to see about that :). M1 must have a different master server than M2 because Master servers have to well, be game specific. But, if the servers are free, and they work, M1 could possibly have its own server sometime or another.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use