You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  Space / Slippery Ice sectors

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Space / Slippery Ice sectors

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

31 October 2004 16:24 (UK time)

Oh-my-gawd. Space sectors with a starry background. These sectors would be frictionless. Infantry / rovers could drift from one station platform to the next. If you drift away from the station, pray a transport will swoop by in time for you to hit "e". Else, the map's edge is certain death. Station platforms could be perforated, so you could see the starry basemap below.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

James Bunting
01 November 2004 00:04 (UK time)

Blimey. Sometimes making freebie games be quite demanding, lol.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

01 November 2004 06:17 (UK time)

i'll see what's left in my paypal account

IMYSC2000T

01 November 2004 10:22 (UK time)

Heh, dude if I had ANY money at all I'd be glad to donate. In fact if I had time I'd donate that too (help with programming and other stuff, perhaps!).

But as it is at the moment I'm a College student, so as you might be able to imagine, I'm pinching pennies. I hope you two are having an easier time than me.

Dave Man

01 November 2004 13:30 (UK time)

What about having a thruster pack that you could get(for space Levels) that would allow you to move around in space for a limited time?

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

01 November 2004 14:54 (UK time)

Rocketpack's in my notes. ... as well as the grapnel bungee-gun, and the X-prototype powered exoskeleton that can rip off tank turrets and use them as arms, and ...
I should just make the game engine I've been thinking of for the past 10 years, and stop bugging James to add new features.

anyway, 2 or 3 background star layers would look sweet with parallax scrolling. Platform texture could have an alpha channel to show perforations? Gray flies as space dust.

Edited: 01 November 2004 15:38

IMYSC2000T

01 November 2004 19:13 (UK time)

Dave Man: Another good idea. Or perhaps it should have a fuel bar that drains only when you start using it. So, if you felt like it, you could save up lots of fuel for when you really need it so that you wouldn't have to worry about fuel depletion when you really need the thruster pack. But basically it would be good to be able to turn it on and off, as opposed to a timed power-up like the powerups of games such as Doom.

fuzinavl: Heh, you know you COULD just join the development of Meteor if James let's you...!

I like the idea of paralax-scrolling. Of course smooth transitions and seemless blending for multi-layer backgrounds would be a must, and I think more than 3 or 4 or even 5 or so layers wouldn't be a bad idea, just to make it look better, depending on whether or not the engine can handle the extra load on the average PC.

X-Prototype-Powered Exoskeleton? Grapnel Bungee-Gun?! Sign me up!

Dave Man

02 November 2004 13:32 (UK time)

3 layers would be good, I have a freeware game called Hellfighter that has this type of scrolling space background, it hase three layers and looks really good when playing it. Also there would be a fuel meter but also a air meter(you coulnd't live in space without air) and the air meter would continually deplete until you entered a air dock or something that would refill the air tank.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

02 November 2004 15:06 (UK time)

yeah, 3 layers looks good enough.
Bah, i loathe fuel / air / food management. The most micro-management I can tolerate is ammo conservation. Call me an extremist.
Hellfighter would be fun if I didn't have to play-by-minimap. Wazzal-style edge-of-screen indicators would be better for such a fast paced game. Though, some of the HF weapon systems (such as the cap. ship strafing blink laser) are just plain cool. I like Timewarp melee with classic star-control 1&2 ships minus the cheap / annoying ships.

IM...2KT: I might help James with a couple of features, but this is his game, and it would be easier to do what i want by starting from scratch.
Until I actually have some sort of alpha version, I don't want you to get your hopes up.
You should know I won't have anything more than single color polygons and line segments.
The focus will be on fun physics (especially) , gameplay, ship customiation, and possibly animation. My goal is to make everything move and play so well that even though the still screenshots will sukk, in motion it will look / feel better than any other 2d overhead infantry game. Now to make that slime physics demo...

Dave Man

02 November 2004 15:55 (UK time)

In my new mod I was hoping on making a level that plays like a hellfighter battle, there will be three sides and and all out war between all the sides will be going on(You will have your own side).

IMYSC2000T

02 November 2004 19:40 (UK time)

Well I think 3 would be tolerable, though maybe the option to have more would be good too. Remember, personal settings aside, the best thing to have is the option to chnage things to what YOU personally feel comfortable with. Of course that's only if it's not too much trouble for JB to program. I think this style of parallax scrolling backgrounds (with translucency) would benefit from taking a page out of Tyrian's backgrounds....

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

02 November 2004 20:26 (UK time)

I still keep a 486 dx4 around just to play tyrian2. How can i rip asteroid2.music?

Assain

02 November 2004 21:56 (UK time)

Wouldnt that be pirating unless given by permission of author? Unless, it is some one who makes music for a hobby/living....

IMYSC2000T

03 November 2004 00:33 (UK time)

Assain: No it wouldn't. If you own Tyrian (or any other game), you can rip the music out (no matter how hard it is) and even do what I do, if you want. You could for example record the music from the game (Nightmare 3D) or from Quake 2 or whatever, and save it as MP3 and/or burn it to CD and listen to it in your car, if you want. It's yours. As long as yuo don't copy it and use it in one of your own works or spread it around to lots and lots of people without permission then that's probably not as legal.

fuzinavl: I'm sure you meant Tyrian 2000, 'cuz there's no Tyrian 2.... Anyways, ripping the music would be easy, but I can't share that here. You can e-mal me about it if you want. In fact I have the music from Tyrianlying arond on some CD somewhere, so if you want I could send it to you, and I could even send you MP3 versions of the music. Tyrian's usic was, in my opinion, some of the best game music ever.... Truly legendary stuff....

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

03 November 2004 03:56 (UK time)

tyrian 2.1 for DOS
space journey 2 is my favorite (send me a copy?) :)
fuzinavl@hotmail.com
if you'd like anything, just send a message

btw, http://fuzinavl.tripod.com/
has an incomplete but fuller description of my idea.
Please e-mail me your responses instead of using this forum.

Edited: 03 November 2004 04:03

IMYSC2000T

04 November 2004 21:33 (UK time)

I don't know about Tyrian 2.1 for DOS (Is that the same thing as normal Tyrian 2000? ), but yeah I can send you space journey 2.... I have the entire soundrack on CD....

Oh and I've already been to your site, by the way! :p

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

05 November 2004 00:56 (UK time)

oh yes, please send it :)

IMYSC2000T

17 November 2004 04:26 (UK time)

OK gotta go dig it up....

IMYSC2000T

20 November 2004 10:49 (UK time)

Annoying as it is, I can't find the CD yet. I don't even have time to look for it, since School is a priority at the moment. But as I already mentioned in my last e-mail (or at least I THINK I mentioned it...), I'll look for it in every nook'n'cranny of my room the first chance I get. And if I don't find it then I'll search for it on the net.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

21 November 2004 14:28 (UK time)

I was reading about stereoscopic glasses a year ago.
There's an old child's toy / glasses that makes objects appear closer or further depending on the color. (red is colsest)

The tyrian setup jukebox can use these!
I wish I knew the name of the toy.

IMYSC2000T

25 December 2004 01:57 (UK time)

Sorry Fuzi, I still haven't been able to find the CD.... I think I'll have to download your song all over again....

Edit: Please add me on Messenger (gee_dougg@hotmail.com) to make it easier for me to talk to you about this....

Edited: 25 December 2004 01:58

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use