You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  bottle o'weapon requests

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: bottle o'weapon requests

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

15 October 2004 13:58 (UK time)

Despite JB's dedication to his quality creations, it is my job as a forum poster to underappreciate and whine about his work:

1)Different Crosshairs: frantically switched to explosives in a small room.... insert funny player death sound
2)Greater differences between weapons: The shotgun and flamer are now short-range snipers and lasers. The shotgun should fanshot. The flamer should set the ground / walls on fire. The minigun is too powerful. Offset that power with extreme recoil & inaccuracy. Bullet trail position should reflect inaccuracy & fanshot.
3)Timed bombs /dynamite with fuses /anti-personnel mines /mines
4)Billiard grenade bouncing: I end up using half of my grenades just to clear a small room.

Edited: 15 October 2004 14:03

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

20 October 2004 17:57 (UK time)

Thanks for the minigun inaccuracy in v1.3x. The XM8 has speed AND accuracy. Such high quality weapons should be given later in the game (not often, not all at once) to make them more special.
Why does my bullet stream go off-center when I'm moving?

Edited: 20 October 2004 17:57

James Bunting
20 October 2004 21:04 (UK time)

Thats a bug with, it calculates the line coords before you move.

Basicially its...
1) calculate coords
2) move
3) fire

Oops! But its a nice touch in a way.

JohnnyB

20 October 2004 21:14 (UK time)

I agree with fuzinavl (on the grenade bouncin' part), but it would be even cooler if you had a projectile you could directly control(Remote controlled, like the sentinel in 007:nightfire) 20 ammo max, it would just deal with (and I sure others can relate) the frustration that come from trying to shoot a grenade around a corner, and dying because it hit you! I hope that's not too hard.

Edited: 28 October 2004 21:25

Assain

20 October 2004 22:36 (UK time)

I say keep the bug when moving! Why? because when you would be moving, you would be more inaccurate when fireing. Even though when shooting and you move left, the bullet spray sways left, ect. instead of just randomly swawing in a random direction... *hint hint*! =)

me_mantis

21 October 2004 21:54 (UK time)

lol--
I was going to post the EXACT same thing as you, but you beat me to it. oh well. I really really like the weapon innacuracy when you are moving. I was trying to do a "drive by" on the turrets outside of the entrance to base foxtrot, and was blown away with the inaccuracy of the minigun. That was great. That also will make the multi-player more fun.
Why not make the fusion cannon shoot one giant projectile, which has a inacuracy range of 255. that would definitly make it more interesting.
How many of you like my (X)M8 graphic?
Look out for the GNV LARMOG!!!!! ;-P
it floats with magnets.
it does not make any sound.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

22 October 2004 05:51 (UK time)

I prefer to shoot where my gun is pointing.
Aiming while moving naturally adds difficulty already.
Or, all meteor2 players will be known for their skill at compensating 11.5 degrees with every shot.
It was cool when I first noticed it, but soon angle compensation became a chore.

Edited: 22 October 2004 05:57

Agent Nightfire

22 October 2004 20:56 (UK time)

ya. Just think about it. Hold your hand out like you are holding a weapon. You have good aim. Now try running in that same position. Your aim decreased dramatically, therefore if the game will be hard and will add difficulty. Like what he is saying, "aiming while moving naturally adds difficulty." He is right.

JohnnyB

24 October 2004 18:27 (UK time)

Its really annoying how weak rockets have gotten now. Do you remember Meteor 1.1? The rockets were king! Now adays, they do like what? 60 damage? A player can survive two! How unrealistic is that??? Even in the mod by m_mantis, the m3 rockets have a good explosion, but do a pathetic amount of damage! Wouldn't it be cooler if you could, say, kill a grenade laucher guy in one hit?!? Some might argue it would get to hard, but hey, what about vehicles?

Edited: 28 October 2004 00:02

JohnnyB

24 October 2004 18:48 (UK time)

Also, the sniper rifle has a lot of promise ( In 1.1 it was the ultimate weapon) but it is now so weak and constrained by ammo and reload times, nobody really uses it. Well, what if you what if the sreen scrolled up by about a screen? Its power wouldn't make the game too easy, since you wouldn't be able to see anyone that is sneaking up on you. What do you think?

Edited: 28 October 2004 21:27

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

25 October 2004 03:58 (UK time)

I like the range/power tradeoff. Screen panning would allow the sniper to be what it should. Check out my "easy-2-use camera" post.

James Bunting
25 October 2004 23:37 (UK time)

Don't forget the armour system, the sniper rifle is great on troopers but useless on anything made of metal.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

26 October 2004 05:20 (UK time)

right. Attribute tradeoffs & Rock-paper-scissors situations usually make more interesting gameplay.

Edited: 26 October 2004 05:24

JohnnyB

27 October 2004 23:56 (UK time)

sounds fun, but then we really need an easy way to switch between weapons.
I wuz at first thinking each weapon should have a number (rocket launcher=7),but that would limit the number of weapons, or at least make the game WAY more complicated.
sugestions?

Edited: 28 October 2004 00:01

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

28 October 2004 05:33 (UK time)

I was thinking a pop-up grid with weapon icons which is mouse-selectable. After realising that's too much work...
If weapons had customizable crosshairs, we could easily see which weapon we're holding. Plus it would add flavour.

JohnnyB

28 October 2004 21:13 (UK time)

That last one good idea. What do you think, James?

What do you mean by pop-up grid? Wouldn't we need the mouse while aiming? I guess my concern here is, we need a fast, but precise method of switching from, say, minigun to dystroy the infantry, to the rockets to get the tank. Some people might say " well, duh! use the mouse wheel," but: a)some people don't have mouse wheels, and b)what if you over spin the wheel when franticly switching, and get the lasers instead? (let's say the tank can kill in one hit 'cause your're low on health)

P.S.: One more thing about the sniper rifle: if its still too powerful even with the armor thing, what if you have, i dunno, 4 REALLY powerfull shots that will dystroy anything with an armor less than 50 in every level? (for example, an sniper could shoot through the windshield of a hover tank and kill the pilot)

Edited: 29 October 2004 21:15

me_mantis

28 October 2004 22:20 (UK time)

I know yo probably know, but i already thought up the best aiming system.
while pressing the shift key on certian weapons, a targeting screen apears, and the mouse moves are translated into gun sight moves, allowing you to move your aimer off screen. Different weapons will have different off screen aim ranges.

JohnnyB

29 October 2004 20:49 (UK time)

Those weapons could only be the sniper rifle and the rocket launcher (mabye the lasers). I don't know who first said it, but we don't want the game turn into something all about shooting your enemy when they are out of range. Sure a few times, it's cool, all covert like, but a game based around a few ranged weapons and mabye a machine gun is completly boring.

Edited: 29 October 2004 21:14

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use