You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  preview mode in the map editor

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: preview mode in the map editor

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

23 November 2008 06:18 (UK time)

exactly what the title says. it would be great to see how the level looks like without starting the map. for example scrolling through a large map quickly instead of walking all over the place. what i mean is there wouldnt be the waypoint markers and the sectors border and the other things that is only seen in the editor. they're a bit distrubing when you want to see the results. i dont think that its hard to implement too.
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

ParaSait

24 November 2008 18:26 (UK time)

I don't what would be so handy about it in Meteor or Meteor 2, but I do think it would be handy in Rod3D, so you could see everything in a 3D view without having to play. Some sort of "Spectator Mode" actually...

But if it gets implemented anyway, the preview mode should show a debug toolbar that, for example, lets you trigger functions defined in your map's script file, so you could see what happens and work out the mistakes.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

25 November 2008 04:04 (UK time)

yeah it would be good for r3d/m3 too
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

arezey

27 November 2008 07:05 (UK time)

Or then you could be able to start the map in a mode where a the player doesn't exist and you can control the camera and able of spawning/'despawning' so that you can test switches and so on... hmm, that gives me an idea :p

ParaSait

27 November 2008 18:40 (UK time)

Well, if you think of the preview mode being as Arezey defines it, then it would be quite easy to make it yourself.
Just make a player object with no sprites, or maybe a crosshair or so, and make it a plane as object type.
Then create a toolbar that can trigger every function in the map and voila, there you have it!

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

DarkRain

27 November 2008 18:51 (UK time)

Mrazerty wrote:
Well, if you think of the preview mode being as Arezey defines it, then it would be quite easy to make it yourself.
Just make a player object with no sprites, or maybe a crosshair or so, and make it a plane as object type.
Then create a toolbar that can trigger every function in the map and voila, there you have it!

That's a great idea! I think it can solve this.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use