You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  M2 editor mimicking M1 editor.

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: M2 editor mimicking M1 editor.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

11 August 2008 14:39 (UK time)

Upon further discussion, I discovered that most people tend to find M1 map editing a lot easier than M2 editing. It seems you have to have more of an inspiration to create your own sectors than to design a map quickly using tiles.

To preserve the quick fluid feeling of M1 into M2 (And M3) I think the map editor should have a tool similar to tiling in M1 (In addition to the sector tools that are already in M2). This tool simply would be a point and click sector placer. You drag your mouse cursor across the screen and small 16x16 sized sectors will be created along the grid, then the mapper can choose the textures he wants for the small tiles.

Of course, having a sector every 16x16 square would mean having a hundred thousand sectors on the screen at a time, causing the map to slow to a crawl, so maybe this tool could merge the sectors that are adjacent to each other. Or maybe a sector merge tool that the mapper would have to do manually to prevent the map from being too slow when played.

A tool similar to tiles in M1 can greatly increase mapping speed, since tiles require little imagination and are alot simpler and faster to work with. I have high expectations for M2 and M3 and since tiles tend to be in high demand, would make an excellent tool for aspiring mappers.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

ParaSait

11 August 2008 14:43 (UK time)

Good idea. I don't think it's too hard to implement either.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

1up

13 August 2008 14:58 (UK time)

well isnt it hard to do kinda slanted tiles and whatnot? personally i dont find layering too hard...its like photoshop lol.
"...And with his fight money, he bought two of each animal on earth, then he herded them onto a boat, where he beat the crap out of every single one!*bangs grenades together*" -Team Fortress 2 Soldier
Headshot! Double Kill! Triple Kill! Overkill! killtacular! Killtastrophe! Killimanjaro! Killprocalypse!... Kil-Killionaire?! What happened to kill#9?!
"Oh shit, hes got THE HALO 1 PISTOL! RUUUUUUN!"
"Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet." -Red Sniper

40oz
 Official Sponsor

13 August 2008 15:11 (UK time)

Oh yeah, tiles are always horizontal and vertical, this tool will make it easy to craft the simple layout of maps, then you can touch them up with finer details later using the sector tool. You are not obligated to use tiles, it's merely a tool that makes the M2 map editor more like the M1 editor. You don't HAVE to use it if you don't want to. You can stick with regular sectors and layers if you prefer.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 13 August 2008 15:13

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use