You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  Easier Sector Scripting

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Easier Sector Scripting

Canuck

01 November 2007 19:49 (UK time)

So, it would be a whole lot easier for people like me who hate/suck at scripting (I'm both) if, instead of having to type in a line of script in the "sector properties" window, if ther could just be like a list of script commands that you could select from, and type all the values in in another menu. For example, if you wanted to add an object, you would select the "Add Object" command in the scripting category of the "sector properties" window, and it would give you a bunch of things to fill in (like the object editor); you could select the object the same way as if you were placing it in the map editor, type in the coordinates, select side, AI type, waypoints, and all that stuff. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement this, but it would make life a lot easier. (I HATE it when I have a great long script trigger that doesn't work and I have to go over it letter by letter to see where I screwed up)

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Canuck

01 November 2007 19:51 (UK time)

And if that sounded insanely long and confusing (as I'm sure it did), I'll se what I can do about a picture/diagram of what I imagine it to look like.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

02 November 2007 09:58 (UK time)

Good suggestion, maybe in Elements..
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

DarkRain

02 November 2007 12:59 (UK time)

Yes, this will be much easier.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

Dthdealer

03 November 2007 05:59 (UK time)

Or at least shorter words used for scripting commands/first 2 letters or similiar(SC_SetObjectHits(,); becomes SC_SeObHi(,);
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

arezey

05 November 2007 11:29 (UK time)

IMO that'd make it even harder.

Example. You see a script file, where's a line: SC_SetObjectHits(42,60);
That makes more sense than
SC_SeObHi(42,60);

Canuck

06 November 2007 20:10 (UK time)

True, but if the commands were shorter you could fit more of them into one sector, because you're limited to 128 characters in the sector script triggers.

Dthdealer

09 November 2007 06:07 (UK time)

or remove the SC_ and just replace it with one character (e.g. |SetSectorHidden(34,0.5))
Re-Read the post if nothing seems strange
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Edited: 09 November 2007 06:07

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use