You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  SLIGE

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: SLIGE

40oz
 Official Sponsor

28 December 2006 01:22 (UK time)

How about a SLIGE Random map generator for Meteor just like the one that was made for Doom??

Automatically creates arrays of sectors and basic shapes, dots enemies all around the map too. Maybe this would have better luck being for M1?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

James Bunting
29 December 2006 23:49 (UK time)

Yes I remember that generator, it made generally outdoor levels but was seriously cool.

It could work for Meteor 2, you know....

- Slap on some grass alternate/ground sectors.
- Add one river that does not touch both ends of the map.
- Add trees and stuff.
- Add enemies.
- Add a "red key" exit.
- Hide the red key!
- Don't place anything near the start point.

Perhaps I should add some new script commands for the map editor only so someone could code it up? I bet that will make Mantis'
eyes open wide.

I remember (still have) an old game called Rise of the Triad (or ROTT) which has a generator called RandROTT. This could be of interest because ROTT is essentially a tile based game although it is in 3D (it used a souped up Wolf3D engine).

James

40oz
 Official Sponsor

31 December 2006 01:28 (UK time)

Awesome!

Will it have parameters and stuff too, so you can make specific maps?

Generate 1 map with:
- 1200x1800 pixels
- 4 Water Sources (Rivers and ponds)
- 6 Bridges (sectors that go across water sources)
- 2 Large Mountains
- 3 Indoor Zones
- 6 Seperate Damaging Sectors
- Use the "Dry Grass" Template
- Use only Large Enemy Objects
- Use Lots of weapons and ammo
- Use Very Little Ingame Sprites

All types of Sector Objects will have their own type of textures that comply with it. For example, Water Sources will have the filenames: grass-dry-deep.pcx, grass-dry-deepest.pcx water.pcx, water02.pcx, water03.pcx, water04.pcx, and waterblue.pcx

Large Mountains would use Rocky textures, Damaging sectors would use Acid and Lava textures, Indoor Zones would use metal or Concrete Textures, etc.

Maps should should have basic templates, that allow only the specified textures to be used, so maps don't immediately jump from metal texture, to sand, to rocks, to pasta. I suspect these type templates:

-Generic Grass Fields
-Generic Desert
-Generic Mountainous
-Generic Tech Theme
-Generic Snow
-Generic Urban (lots of bulky rectangular sectors)
-Dry Grass
-Rocky Ground
-Beach
-Outer Space (maybe, maybe not)

Objects can be described under 5 categories (Easy, Medium, Hard, Vacant, and Scenery)

Easy will have mostly ground troopers.
Medium would include humvees, air scouts, buggies, etc.
Hard would include giant mechs, Dark Jets, Heli's etc.
Vacant are objects that have the No AI quality and can be driven by the player.
And Scenery is just about any object that can be classified as neutral.

This would be really nice. Do you think something like this will really happen??

*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

03 January 2007 14:34 (UK time)

Isn't it a 'bit' hard to make? But it would be cool anyway.

(1st post of 2007)
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

James Bunting
04 January 2007 00:51 (UK time)

Perhaps I should release the Meteor map specifications, perhaps I could release some C code that loads and saves a map (I am not willing to release the source code for game itself at this stage).

Then somebody could take on the Map Generator project using their choice of language etc? As long as it writes the file it will work.

How about C# in Microsoft Visual C# Express 2005 (which is free)?

Any takers, I will code a loader/saver class for C#.net if someone will code up a map generator or will find it useful for anything else?

I am hoping to encorage more 3rd party tools & development for the Meteor games. Perhaps writing a .Net based M2 map class structure with supporting functions (add sectors etc) and full on file load/save functions would be beneficial?

Oh and I did I mention that MeteorFE (the new front end for Meteor/Meteor2) will be open source?

James

Edited: 04 January 2007 00:58

40oz
 Official Sponsor

04 January 2007 20:26 (UK time)

Oooh. We have to rely on someone ELSE to make it?

Any Coders in here?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

James Bunting
04 January 2007 22:37 (UK time)

Lol, no really you put it well.

I will provide a .Net application with source that can open and save M2 maps file. There will also be some other handy functions like "AddSector" and "AddObeject" etc so it should be to too much trouble. Of course full access to all map data will be provided.

I don't have much time and can't afford to get into another application programming project. I am putting my time to good use with other Meteor coding.

Perhaps Fuzinavl or Mantis may want to take a crack at this? I have a feeling Mantis will be getting into .Net.

Anyway I will essentially be releasing an open source "Meteor 2 .Net SDK" that will grow over time. The goal is to get people to do wonderful things like make a map editor/scriptor all in one tool one day perhaps?

James

40oz
 Official Sponsor

05 January 2007 23:55 (UK time)

I'll be the director.

Someone make the program, I'll tell you if it is done correctly or not. =)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

me_mantis

06 January 2007 06:40 (UK time)

I'll be the CEO. I'll take all the credit and media attention!

Erik

06 January 2007 18:27 (UK time)

i'll be the fans that shouts and screams when the new product is released :)

VR_Rat

06 January 2007 19:23 (UK time)

And i guess the only postion left is to complain about the product, but use it as if my life depened on it.

arezey

10 January 2007 06:47 (UK time)

And I'll be the one who wants to try it out but can't because there is so many bugs =P

40oz
 Official Sponsor

10 January 2007 23:40 (UK time)

There's only one more position to fill...

NOT IT!!!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Dthdealer

23 March 2007 23:16 (UK time)

ill be the annoying person who doesn't contribute anything, is mean, thinks he own the project and releases illegal copies before its official release date, and charge money . without a person like that, the mod would get no-where.
heres an idea, a sector style thing (not m2 ground sectors) that chops a map into random large sqaure sections, where terrain templates are placed at any flip or angle, or generate terrain like you said in some of those sectors.

Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

JohnnyRancid

24 March 2007 00:49 (UK time)

soo uh... is anyone gonna actually make this thing or are we just assigning positions that aren't needed?

While were at it, we can arrange a football team made up of coaches, towelboys, waterboys, and benchwarmers.

Edited: 24 March 2007 00:50

40oz
 Official Sponsor

26 March 2007 21:42 (UK time)

uh... I guess not. =(
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use