You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  Gameplay Situation

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Gameplay Situation

40oz
 Official Sponsor

29 July 2006 04:55 (UK time)

I've got a bit of a problem that I've experienced while playing through M2.

The problem was very simple, I just wasn't having fun. I'll clarify this a bit more.

While playing M2, I didn't find it very satisfying that I took up to 2+ bullets from every single trooper I came in contact with, even the pistol troopers! (except the guarding ones because they take a long time to turn around). It's also not too fun when I grab up a crew to help me, and I find myself just watching them fight while I sit outside the building, leaving me to not even actually "play" the game. I can barely take on more than 5 XM8 guys before I die, sometimes even less. I'm dissapointed in the lack of strategy I can use to get any closer to completing a map. I feel that the current Meteor 2 is too frustrating to get anything fun out of it.

I know that I have the opportunity to simply go to the weapon, projectile's, and objects editor, but I can't help but get the feeling that I am cheating, and the last thing I want to do is make a game easier than it has to be.

I hope that in the future we look into other games as an inspiration to achieving a satisfying game.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 29 July 2006 04:57

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

30 July 2006 03:02 (UK time)

Papercut, what flaws in the M2 engine are making M2 mods not fun?

I think a fixed 800x600 resolution would help gameplay designers immensely.

Edited: 30 July 2006 03:08

arezey

30 July 2006 07:10 (UK time)

What are you talking about? You could just take the "Easy" level and still not feel cheating because the "Easy" level is part of the M2 original.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

30 July 2006 19:06 (UK time)

Well it's not the M2 mods or the engine itself, its how the campaign is by default. I think I made it pretty clear how I'm not having a good time playing M2. But if you would like to hear some of my ideas:

-Enemy troops should hold slower, and more innaccurate weapons. So they're not getting direct shots 99% of the time and as fast they can fire.

-Their bullet projectiles should have a shorter range so that they aren't shooting the [;ayer from outside the screen.

-Maybe they should walk a tad slower, rather than sprinting to kill the player

What I'm trying to say is that if I have to take one a thousand of these baddies, they should be a little less frustrating to kill. M1 would be a good example, the enemies were quite easy to kill (if not too easy), and there were thousands of them. I felt like I could go all day killing these guys. In M2, I'm trying to figure out any possible way to get rid of them without me having to kill them myself. I just simply did not enjoy the default campaign as it is.

You may want to try the Meteor Doom mod, and you can see how the player gets a benefit over the monsters in the game, even if they use the same weapons.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 30 July 2006 19:14

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use