You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  Physics

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Physics

40oz
 Official Sponsor

09 October 2005 18:34 (UK time)

How about M2 having a physics engine? Having weight values and such, and maybe a Push/Pull feature on some objects like on Halflife 1. Objects would be affected by the strength of projectile contact, like bullets would move an object slightly, as though a rocket would blow them away, unless of course it was something like a tank.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

mike323
09 October 2005 18:40 (UK time)

Lotta work on james, i'd predict...lets get M2 muliplayer out and then maybe that'l happen. I like it, maybe there will be a gravity gun

XD

Assain

10 October 2005 12:16 (UK time)

This requires a slightly 3D based game engine, like how C&C: Red Alert 2 is. You cant really do this for 2D sprites (i guess you COULD, but it looks bad with 2D objects).

Mabey for M3.

Knasp

10 October 2005 14:17 (UK time)

Yeah, physics is a too big step for M2. But pushable objects wouldn't be that hard to implent, Yes? No?

mike323
10 October 2005 15:16 (UK time)

Come M3, physics will be a reality. M2, though, can be 3D, but the graphics aren't ready to be. So, yes, maybe just changing a height value, moving them around on the X any Y axis, and rotating them wouldn't be impossible.

me_mantis

10 October 2005 19:05 (UK time)

Diong physics in a 2d game is way easier than in a 3d game. There is 1 less dimentoin you have to deal with. All you would need to do is give everything a weight, and write a few hundred lines of code =D
I'd like to blast someone into a wall with a rocket launcher =D Although I'd much rather blast a bike off a cliff with a ied =D

arezey

10 October 2005 20:30 (UK time)

hehe, you did that again ltt.

<b>me_mantis</b> wrote in 01 July 2005 00:32 UK Time:

<i>A really long time ago in the early pre meteor 1.3 oops I mean 1.2 days, I was told by Sir James the Great, that Meteor2 Multiple Player Mode would be kind of like renegade, the players would be able to get credits for destroying enemy structures, and would be able to build base structures, and various other things. There is a possiblilty that this idea may just be fabricated before the initial public beta release.
=D

Hmm I hope I won't be too busy cleaning tomorrow

=D

btw. Nice name pic papercut! What program did you use? Why didn't you get any enemies with a piece of paper?

=D <-- wow 3 smileys something must be up! </i>

Remember this one? It's came back!!!!!
<a href="http://www.jbserver.com/forums/ThreadView.asp?ForumId=4&TopicId=24&ThreadId=785"></i>Meteor RTS</i> Thread</a>

But what do you mean with
<i>I'd like to blast someone into a wall with a rocket launcher</i>?

Assain

10 October 2005 21:02 (UK time)

Ok, Mantis has a point, technically it you *can* do physics easy in 2d, but it a proper full physics engine is nearly impossible (im thinking like your see a box spinning in the air, and breaking apart when it hits the ground, or a person flipping in air from an explosion), as 2d images cant really spin/turn (ok mabey they can turn) to bounce acording to the world.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

11 October 2005 04:19 (UK time)

I'd be <i>totally</i> happy with just the 2D stuff Assain.
Also, great sound effects make a physics engine twice as good.

Edited: 11 October 2005 04:20

me_mantis

11 October 2005 16:03 (UK time)

2D physics wouldn't be people flipping over or that sort of stuff, but I was thinking more in the line of "pool" physics. Pool is a very 2D game, but it employs physics that change the shape of the game. Imagine a game of pool where the cue ball stops when it contacts another ball. That would be boring. Likewise, Meteor 2 would be more fun if a rocket hits a object, and its force not only damages the object, but it also pushes the object back.
I am teaching myself Math & Physics for game programming, and I may be learning stuff.
I think that aleksantari may be onto somthing with his slightly random RTS post. A while ago, he uled a ss with a toolbar. Now I'm not saying that I know he's making a RTS version, but I am saying...
hmm maybe I won't say anything. =D
Ok fine. I will say that I got a bit of stuff done concerning my very old post about that fun style of gameplay.

arezey

11 October 2005 17:49 (UK time)

Hey, just to avoid confusion:

<b>I am NOT doing ANYTHING related to RTS</b>

me_mantis

11 October 2005 18:11 (UK time)

Quote: "Remember this one? It's came back!!!!!"
Then whats this all about?

arezey

11 October 2005 19:22 (UK time)

Well, hehe, hehehehe, i mean that you posted those 3 smilieys, as they were in your post in the RTS thread, that's what I meant with both of them.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

12 October 2005 00:05 (UK time)

You guys are going a bit ahead of me. Physics arent that hard as it is as simple as moving objects via explosion or other types of contact, even from other objects. not exactly tipping them over or even bouncing off walls. Me_mantis seems to get the picture.

If we have any Doom fans, The physics of that game is what I am looking for. Cyberdogs could make a good example too, If i remember correctly, the characters are moved by gunfire.

Its really more basic than some of you are making it sound.

And Aleksanteri: What me_mantis means by blasting someone into a wall with a rocket launcher, is that physics would make those type things possible. Hitting someone with a rocket would blast them a few feet from where they were originally standing. bullets can do the same, but it would only be inches. Maybe objects could be moved by other objects too.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 12 October 2005 00:11

shockdrop

12 October 2005 06:52 (UK time)

Well im not sure if this is related, but i think it is...i dont know, youll correct me anyway :\
What about a bullet time thing? Like (this is the part) You do the slow down time thing then all your bullets and stuff have more effect on the target. Like a bullet normaly wouldnt do much, BT Bullet would knock them back a little to alot.

Also, a fun situation with physics:
Get in car. Drive very fast. Brake. Your guy slams into a wall....and through bad guys...and a tank...i said fast...

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

12 October 2005 17:28 (UK time)

<b>bullet time:</b> good for single-player only
<b>pool table physics:</b> exactly
<b>cyberdogs:</b> C-dogs is better in every way

Edited: 12 October 2005 17:28

Assain

12 October 2005 20:53 (UK time)

Well, OK what you guys are talking about is cool, but i dont consider those "physics", which is probibly why i mixed things up. I consider that kind of stuff just... well... a "reaction" from the object, such as push or pull and thats it.

me_mantis

12 October 2005 22:34 (UK time)

@aleksantari--Now I understand. Well, when there are 4 smileys you'd best watch out. They are not related to physics at all though. consider them progress meters for 1 project I am workng on. =D =D =D

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use