You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  User Announcements  \  Hello Everyone.....and a new mod

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Hello Everyone.....and a new mod

Dopewingduck

26 July 2013 01:37 (UK time)

Hello everyone! My name is dopewingduck (also known as killgary in some sectors of the internet and xbox live) and this is my mod: The Dead Chronicles.

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/garyguidroz/media/GameScreens_zpse7a65c33.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Premise: You are Gary, a regular dude who wakes up to a zombie hell on earth. Guided by an emergency tv broadcast to evacuate to a safe zone in the city, Gary travels from his home in the suburbs to the safe zone downtown. Along the way he encounters all sorts of undead walking infections that must be dealt with( including infected and mutated animals) . Luckily you have a bunch of weapons( improvised and official). You also have puzzles to solve (turning on power, finding ways around road blocks, search for keys, finding gas for vehicles) also rescuing survivors(some even help you fight back and heal you). The mood of the mod is very dark and tries to look and feel some what realistic. There is a little more to the story but I don't want to give it all away.

I started this mod with meteor 1 back in 2004. I eventually realized that zombies don't really work well in meteor 1 so I abandoned it for a wile. But in 2010 I decided to resurrect the mod using meteor 2. A large portion on the original mod has be recreated with all new sprites. I also added a lot of new content as well. I love pixel based art. Digital art is my past time so the sprites are a bit of an ongoing art project for me. Here is a sample of the sprite sheet for my mod.

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/garyguidroz/media/SpritePageDemo_zps98de4136.gif.html?sort=3&o=2

I know the quality of the screen cap is bad. I didn't want to give away too much. I want to personally hand draw everything (I even redrew the toilets). The two things I'm having trouble with are the scripting and finding music to use, (I'm looking for dark, moody, and ambient)

Onto weapons. This is a list of every weapon I have added so far:

9mm pistol
desert eagle
mac 10
mp5
double barrel shotgun
pump shotgun
saiga 12 (full auto with drum clip)
high-powered pump shotgun( with 3 different ammo types: deer slug, incendiary, and exploding shells)
m1 garand (complete with "PING" sound that the last shot makes)
ak 47
m4 carbine
m4z (m4 customized with a scope, 100 round beta mag, and under slung grenade launcher that works)
dragonv svd
flare gun
molotovs
hand grenades
chainsaw
nail gun
and....an aerosol can with a lighter
more to come!!

So I don't have a set date as to when it will come out but when it does, it dose. Until then, you may have these sprites I have done. Use them however you like!

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p695/garyguidroz/freesprites_zps967edc8b.png~original

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm down for trades if say, you wanted to trade sprites for scripts or music maybe :) Anyway, let me know what you guys think.
We be moden'!

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

26 July 2013 09:02 (UK time)

Hi, great to see new ppl appearing, esp with mods. :D Looks pretty nice. It will prolly be released before meteor 3 i'm sure. :p Looking forward to it.
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

ParaSait

26 July 2013 15:55 (UK time)

Funny, the first screenshot reminds me of Grand Theft Auto 2. :p
Looking great. I gotta say you're very good at 2D graphics.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Dopewingduck

26 July 2013 17:37 (UK time)

masuda wrote:
Hi, great to see new ppl appearing, esp with mods. :D Looks pretty nice. It will prolly be released before meteor 3 i'm sure. :p Looking forward to it.

Hi masuda. If everything goes like I want it to then yes it will. I'm trying to set some reasonable goals for myself so I can actually accomplish them. For example, when this mod does come out, it's going to release in chapters. Each chapter will only be 5 or six levels long but it well become more and more involved each time (at some point you will not only be fighting zombies, but hostile survivors and military clean-up crews as well). I'm not going to rush though, I want everything to be as close to prefect as it can be.
We be moden'!

Dopewingduck

26 July 2013 17:45 (UK time)

ParaSait wrote:
Funny, the first screenshot reminds me of Grand Theft Auto 2. :p
Looking great. I gotta say you're very good at 2D graphics.

Thank you. Funny you should say gta. I have a back burner secondary mod project that I'm toying with that is a mixture of Hotline Miami , Gta 2, and Payday. It's called Mayhem. A lot of the sprites I made are meant to be able to be used in that game too. Just a bunch of dude in suits with masks and guns, violently killing each other with everything from shanks to SMAWs. And you rob banks and liquor stores and stuff. But that's all in a folder, stored away for a rainy day.
We be moden'!

me_mantis

26 July 2013 21:21 (UK time)

Looks pretty awesome. Definitely has an awesome style.

I put in a word for you, so hopefully you'll get a rank upgrade soon.

James Bunting
26 July 2013 21:40 (UK time)

I spent ages making Meteor 2 and can even hint that I have picked up the keyboard again and am actively updating it.

Seeing stuff like this is what makes it all worth while. The graphics and map editing in this mod are outstanding. I am looking forward to playing it.

Dopewingduck

27 July 2013 06:08 (UK time)

me_mantis wrote:
Looks pretty awesome. Definitely has an awesome style.

I put in a word for you, so hopefully you'll get a rank upgrade soon.

Thank you! I'll defiantly post more free stuff if I get that rank up :D
We be moden'!

Dopewingduck

27 July 2013 06:40 (UK time)

James Bunting wrote:
I spent ages making Meteor 2 and can even hint that I have picked up the keyboard again and am actively updating it.

Seeing stuff like this is what makes it all worth while. The graphics and map editing in this mod are outstanding. I am looking forward to playing it.

Holy cr**! Thank you so much. Dude reading your post made my day lol. I love Meteor! The depth of the editing tools far surpasses any other game I have played and that is why I love it so much. I can make the game the way I want. It combines two of my passions: drawing and video games. Almost endless possibilities. I live in Louisiana in the United States, and when we were hit by hurricane Katerina in 05' I was held up in a hotel in Tennessee for 4 weeks. I played Meteor 1 the entire time. Lol, it save me from going completely stir crazy.

I only wish there were more options in Meteor 2 (more options for sectors and that pesky glitch that crashes the game when you don't have enough keys for a multi-key door). This game is a modder's dream and with the indie game movement growing, this game could seriously make a mark. Anyway, I'm glad to see everyone is digging my mod so far. I'll post some more screens when I have more to show. Also if anyone would like some sprites made for there own mod, I can help. Until then, I have more work to do :)
We be moden'!

arezey

03 August 2013 13:36 (UK time)

That is awesome. Real nice graphics you got there.

Regarding the weapons, I don't recognize half the names in the list but I don't know is that good or bad. My general stance has been that if you cannot describe the weapons with unique, generic naming (pistol, machine gun, minigun, rocket launcher, chainsaw, etc...) without loopholes there's likely needless clutter inbound.

Looking forward to playing this.

I kind of wish these forums had RSS feeds I could pop in to see when there's something new and not be late for everything.

@James: That's perhaps the best avatar I've seen around here ever. :p

Edited: 03 August 2013 13:36

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

03 August 2013 21:25 (UK time)

@arezey
There is an RSS, I don't know if it's good enough for you though, I've never used it:
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

Dopewingduck

03 August 2013 23:16 (UK time)

@arezey

@arezey

True. Right now at least, I do not have my weapons set up in a user friendly way just yet. The plan is this:

Weapons will be set up as classes( improvised, pistol, smg, rifle, machine guns, shotgun, explosive). The HUD will display that information to the player and guns will replace guns of the same type (desert eagle will replace 9mm pistol when you pick it up). So basically you can only carry one of each type of weapon. This also reduces clutter on the HUD. Weapons will most likely be presented to the player in pit stop levels, only at key moments, or in stores that require money.
We be moden'!

ParaSait

04 August 2013 03:04 (UK time)

arezey wrote:
@James: That's perhaps the best avatar I've seen around here ever. :p

Bunt. James Bunt.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

arezey

05 August 2013 10:39 (UK time)

ParaSait wrote:
Bunt. James Bunt.

Now that just made my day.

@Dopewingduck That sounds pretty interesting. Good luck with the mod!
@masuda I swear I'm blind... It's right at the top of the page. Thanks.

Edited: 05 August 2013 11:40

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use