You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  User Announcements  \  Meteor 2 v1.22 public beta released

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Meteor 2 v1.22 public beta released

James Bunting
26 March 2006 22:49 (UK time)

Meteor 2 v1.22 is undergoing public beta testing, so feel free to get involved.

There is a still a load of stuff to do but I wanted people to play around with what has changed so far and get some feedback. The changes made so far are:

- Added basic group control, select units by dragging over them with the mouse and issue commands such as goto, guard and follow. This only effects applicable allied units (just like the "E" key to follow mode).
- Changed the script file extension from .sc to .c. This is to aid script includes and also allows script to be edited properly in conventional C editors (like Visual Studio or Notepad 2) without any issues or special configuration. Meteor will look for .sc files too so older map scripts will continue to work just fine.
- Objects with rotating weapons now only rotate their turrets when in guarding mode.
- Increased the maximum "item count" in multiplayer from 32,767 (signed 16 bit) to 2,147,483,647 (signed 32 bit).
- Minor tweaks to Base Alpha map.
- When saving games the current playing music filename is stored, so loading the game again will not effect the music playback (even for custom tracks).
- Obsolete saved games are now detected correctly. In previous versions Meteor attempted to load older saved game files which caused problems.
- Fixed game pausing, it now works better than ever!
- Weapon Editor: Fixed a bug which was preventing some of the data in the list from being updated (sprite image).
- Sprite Editor: When changing a sprite's description the current description is shown in the box (its not just blank anymore).
- Sprite Editor: When adding a new frame the image picker defaults to the image of the previous frame (if more than 1 frame exists).

Peding changes (todo) include fixing the sound for certain objects (i.e. some aircraft don't make noise when they fly overhead), working on the "goto" AI and wall sliding (see forums somewhere).

Here is the patch URL, unzip to your Meteor folder (requires M2 v1.21). BACK UP YOUR M2 FOLDER FIRST!

http://www.jbserver.com/downloads/jbgames/meteor2/Meteor2_121_to_122beta1.zip

James Bunting

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

James Bunting
26 March 2006 22:50 (UK time)

Please report bugs specific to these changes in this thread.

mike323
26 March 2006 23:06 (UK time)

YAYYY :D

*click*

VR_Rat

27 March 2006 03:07 (UK time)

Um, explanation please?

mike323
27 March 2006 15:21 (UK time)

YES! No more unstable pausing. Now I can run to the cookies without hearing explosions and screaming in the background :p

arezey

27 March 2006 15:32 (UK time)

:) did come in need. However, just 1 thing. When the the SC_RunMap(char caption); is called, the music restarts from the beginning. But otherwise, I will keep my thumb up for you James.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

27 March 2006 17:21 (UK time)

Good idea for mouse use! But trooper selection is broken. (I can only select/deselect the first trooper I select on that level.)
I think on-map commands might be a bad idea because the heart of M2 is squad and action based, not an rts.

I know it may be difficult at this point, a vehicle exit command for troopers would be good (simply clicking on a vehicle == enter). Also, do scripts / military rank override player commands? I guess a boolean per trooper could do this.

CLickable button sizes should be 3x or 4x as big, especially in-game.

James Bunting
27 March 2006 20:29 (UK time)

Yes a very good point about the group control being present which brings on the big debate...

Option 1 is leave the group control all the time like in the current beta.

Option 2 is just have the follow command available as before but allow group control to be enabled on a per map basis.

Option 3 is the same as option 2 but other per map flags can be added too allowing for proper RTS mode (i.e. mouse scrolling and no player).

I think I am keen on 2 or 3 and am not comfortable with leaving the group control on all the time? This is basically why this beta exists, what do people think?

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

28 March 2006 01:26 (UK time)

I vote yes for option 1: leaving it on all the time. Individual units should have a script-controlled "commandable" toggle.

I vote no for rts. There are plenty of high quality rts's out there already. Why spend months making another? Rts stuff can already be done with command center vehicles.

me_mantis

28 March 2006 02:32 (UK time)

YAY!!! an update!!!

"Rts stuff can already be done with command center vehicles"

Hee hee thx..
I think it would be cool to play meteor 2 rts style. The units have real CD, unlike basically all other RTS games.

More bugs later =P

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

28 March 2006 04:41 (UK time)

what's "CD"?

arezey

28 March 2006 14:33 (UK time)

I dunno, but I really like the way the group commanding is now. All that really annoyes me is that the descriptions are shown and the music starts when triggering SC_RunMap();

Assain

28 March 2006 17:47 (UK time)

I vote for a modualar of all three options.

Although RTS is sweet, and adds a new demension to Meteor, I say keep it out of vanilla M2 and have it togable based on map preferences.

Right now though, i suggest you keep the current system of commanding troops, its much cooler and easier than before.

However, full blown RTS/Renegade mode shouldnt be avalable in the traditional M2 campange, but have it as an option for those who create maps.

Heres how it could work.

The map looks exactly like a normal map. However, upon enterin a certain vehicle, the player gets command abilities.

This way, if you (or someone else) decides to create a seperate campange featureing RTS functions, this will add TONS of replay and for the most part make alot of mission somewhat non-linear.

This is assuming of course we are still going to be keeping the same AI system. If you happen to create an AI to go against your RTS force in the campange in a much later patch, that would be cool too.

But I belive vanilla M2 shouldnt include full-blown RTS functions. However, leave it as an option for Renegade-style gameplay/multiplayer.

me_mantis

28 March 2006 19:50 (UK time)

I got to play the patch last night, and it rocked. Is yout plan to make meteor 2 so fun, it kills off companies like EA? =D

About the options:
I think that the Group control is awesome, but it could be dangerous in the missions.
I'd say that you should either A. make SC_GroupCommandEnabeled a map option that can be changed in the script, but also set in the advanced map properties.
Or B. Make group control a per object setting. This way, you could control a small group of infantry, but not ruin a mission.

I have only found 1 error, 1 possible error, and one possible problem.

The error is that you can force trains to follow you/chase your cursor. I found this out when I made a bomb(a train unit) from my bomber in my RTSS mode. I was able to alter its heading by telling it to go places.

The possible error is that you can hold down your move cursor, and your units will follow it. This might create too many packets in mp games. If it doesn't, I would really like to keep this feature, because it allows me to have 25 guided bombs flying around my jet ready to kill anything I need them to. (I'll post the ss =D)

The possible problem is that when you click and drag to make a box, you can keep dragging all the way across the map by walking away from the initial selection corner.

CD is collision detection. Most games allow their units to hit every time, or randomly decided how much damage was inflicted. In Meteor2, infantry and tanks don't always hit, because all their shots have a spray factor(and are all calculated). This would make battles much more realistic, and interesting.

mike323
29 March 2006 00:59 (UK time)

*applause*

Great job James! The unit commands are fabulous! AND changable speech sfx. Very fun.

Now, as for the opinions. I think units should be controllable on a per-map basis.

A suggestion: maybe have assignable keys to the unit commands?

Edited: 29 March 2006 01:02

VR_Rat

29 March 2006 02:35 (UK time)

It isn't working for me, something about a mousepointer or something.

me_mantis

29 March 2006 18:28 (UK time)

I played the patch coop, and noticed a few more errors.

#1. The clients cannot control anything with the new controls.(e for follow still works though)

#2. Powerup picked up status isn't always transfered. I picked up a powerup, and I recieved the amount of items the powerup gave, but the powerup didn't dissapear ever.

#3. Initial Sector changes were NOT sent to clients.
A sector that I was supposed to be hidden was shown, and a sector that was supposed to be shown after a trigger was never displayed after I joined.

#4. Lag. When the host recieves a mission briefing, ingame, he gets it almost instantly, but the clients are frozen until the message it transfered to them. The host is able to move as soon as he get his message, and can move while the clients are frozen.

#5. Random objects do not appear on the clients map. The client can see them shoot, run over where they are, but can't shoot through them.
This happened to the host, so I couldn't see him.

#6. The game randomly freezes for the clients.
We were playing, and the host stopped moving on my screen, but when I died, and restarted, I could see the host moving.

None of these errors were present in the last meteor 2 release execpt

#7. The weapon editor projectile startpoint sprite isn't there. When you access the weapon editor through the editors menu, the sprite of the weapon in the placing screen is replaced by a blank sprite.

DRL

29 March 2006 23:42 (UK time)

Maybe it`s time to add a split screen?, It will be a cool feature, so you can test or maps whit your brother (Or a "Specialy-designed-player-AI?)or whit your friend....So, if you have 6 computers, there will play 12 players, and so on...

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

30 March 2006 05:28 (UK time)

<b>Important:</b> Control Scheme with "always mouselook" on:

left mouse button should be fire
right mouse button should command troops
(having to hold both mouse buttons to fire is silly)

me_mantis

30 March 2006 15:47 (UK time)

I'm thinking that it would be better if it was RMB to fire, because that way you could use your lmb to control.

Just personal preference.

arezey

30 March 2006 16:22 (UK time)

Could there be implented a script editor inside the map editor?

@fuzinavl + mantis I actually like this way, but maybe fuzinavls idea is good.

I also found out a bug. I had both Allied sides and SAS sides at MSA, and I tried commanding SAS, it doesn't work! Could it look for the SideId (is ally or not) instead of the side number (unique) ?

Edited: 30 March 2006 16:27

mike323
30 March 2006 18:20 (UK time)

Although a great idea, the script editor within m2 idea was attempted before. James said something like "my attempts at a text editor proved feeble"

In other words, double monitors kick a$s.

me_mantis

30 March 2006 19:33 (UK time)

@Alek: You don't need to worry about different Side IDs You can use a script command to change IDs per map, so all your SAS troopers would be on the same side.

@Mike3232323232323:
Dual monitors are nice, but what really pwnz is when you have DUAL COMPUTERS!
I do my script editing on 1 computer networked with my Meteor 2 map editing computer. Since the Script computer has a wireless mouse, I can manage multiple script files without leaving my chair. this way, I don't have to minimize or ever switch focus.

Does anyone even use always look mouse? I know I did in meteor 1, but it's sorta annoying with the scope weapons.

DRL

30 March 2006 20:47 (UK time)

>Maybe it`s time to add a split screen?, It will be a cool feature, so you can test or maps whit your brother (Or a "Specialy-designed-player-AI?)or whit your friend....So, if you have 6 computers, there will play 12 players, and so on...<

Does Noboby have interest in this?

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

30 March 2006 23:43 (UK time)

DRL: I really want what you're asking for too, but I can't think of a good control scheme, can you?

mike323
31 March 2006 00:36 (UK time)

@ Mantis - Actually I do not need to alt+tab out of M2 because I run M2 in a screen-size window. All it takes is clicking back 'n' forth.

d34db34t

31 March 2006 02:00 (UK time)

how do you command troops?

whenever i try to select troops, i don't see the selection box, and ash just fires his gun

mike323
01 April 2006 00:32 (UK time)

You need to turn off always aim mode.

DRL

01 April 2006 15:38 (UK time)

>how do you command troops?

whenever i try to select troops, i don't see the selection box, and ash just fires his gun<

Hover the mouse to the soldier/vehicle you want to give orders.
Then, click it whit the LEFT MOUSE BUTTON, DIRECTLY, NOT THE RIGHT AND THEN THE LEFT.

me_mantis

03 April 2006 14:36 (UK time)

Heh..
You really need the 1.22 public beta patch to do this kind of unit control. Get it at WWW.JBGames.com

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

03 April 2006 16:40 (UK time)

Is there a way to change the color/disable sniper scope green? Just curious, not that important.

Also, selection & follow command of 20 units really chugs the game. If follow mode logic was set to every third frame, would that speed things up, or not really because it's script driven?

Edited: 03 April 2006 16:44

mike323
03 April 2006 23:41 (UK time)

@fuzin: Probably not, it doesn't say anything about a sniper color on the changelist.

DRL

14 April 2006 16:50 (UK time)

IDEA FOR SPLIT SCREEN:

Okay, what about if we try out Escape 2 controls in Meteor 2?
At least just for the next release, so we can test it and see if we like it or no, at least let`s try, we are not going to lose anything.

*ADITIONAL*: In Escape 2 YOU DON`T USE THE MICE, so don`t annoy whit it.

....Also, maybe 2 player is playable whit spawners?, (e.g.: a car respawns in 2 player)

Edited: 14 April 2006 19:09

arezey

14 April 2006 17:38 (UK time)

*whistles* >> <a href="http://www.jbserver.com/forums/ThreadView.asp?ForumId=4&TopicId=23&ThreadId=998">click this</a>

Edited: 14 April 2006 17:38

arezey

14 April 2006 19:20 (UK time)

Escape 2 is Escape 2, there you do not <b>aim</b>!

In M2, you aim, and <b>that</b> is the thing what does stop us!

James Bunting
17 April 2006 10:47 (UK time)

<b>Sniper Scope</b>
This is on the list and will be done. You will be able to set the scope colour or disable the background altogether.

<b>Group Control (mouse control)</b>
I have freed up the LMB so it behaves in the normal way (so you don't have to hold down the RMB). I did this by requiring the player to hold down shift while drawing a box around (selecting)objects. I must admit that it is a bit fiddly and takes some getting used to but it works. Frankly it is the only real and workable solution that does not affect M2's tried and tested control system (always mouse look or not).

VR_Rat

17 April 2006 14:34 (UK time)

I personaly hope that if you ever have absolutly nothing to do on M2 that you attempt to change the controls.

arezey

17 April 2006 14:56 (UK time)

Could you fix also the game music? When triggering SC_RunMap();, the music gets restarted which is bit annoying.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use