You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Error Reporting  \  Critical Error: M2.EXE not working properly

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Critical Error: M2.EXE not working properly

Assain

22 December 2004 00:25 (UK time)

Ive had the new patch installed the other day. Worked great all fun and games. Today was strange though. Upon opening M2.exe, the screen came up and just stayed black. The game was working, i heard the music going on and ect, but the screen stayed black. This was strange, becuase it was working earlier today. Then i tweaked with the resolutions and got it so i could see somthing, but it had some of that ol' flickering and those large, horizontal black bars going on in the screen. Not to mention it was desplaying a like 32x64 resolution when it was set at 800x600 in the .ini file.

I am wondering what is happening here. Restarting is not working, neither is re-zipping the game aneu. All of my other games/programs work fine though, so i dont think my Nividia GT 5200 128MB video card is the problem...

Edited: 22 December 2004 00:26

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

James Bunting
22 December 2004 10:33 (UK time)

You should delete/rename meteor2.ini to restore your default settings. Let me know...

Assain

22 December 2004 14:44 (UK time)

OK nevermind (again! :p isnt it magical that my problems get solved a day or two afterwords...lol). It turns out the problem was my graphics card drivers were for some reason slowly degrading up to the point where it didnt recognize it at all (woh let me tell you, 16 colors mode just looks crappy all together), but i solved it but deleteing the source of the problem, reinstalling the drivers from a different source, ect, and it was working again. Gess direct draw wasnt working right :p.

EDIT: Even though i fixed the problem, it appears my card isnt doing so well on the full-screen Direct Draw tests, so M2 still aint working so well. The solution? Unfortunatly, switch back to my old drivers :(

Edited: 22 December 2004 14:48

Assain

22 December 2004 15:20 (UK time)

Ok scrach that too. Even going back to the old drivers still is not allowing fullscreen Direct Draw to work properly :(. I gess this means that i can't play M1/2 again unfortunatly, unless nVIDIA can give me some answers that work.

Edited: 22 December 2004 15:20

James Bunting
23 December 2004 01:05 (UK time)

All sounds a bit wierd, I use the v66.93 drivers on my GF5900 Ultra (it works fine on the FX 5200's here too). I just play it in the default "autodetect" full screen mode using WinXP.

Its worth checking out your Direct X too, I use 9C (I think).

Assain

23 December 2004 01:36 (UK time)

Ive got version 9.0 DX too. Everthing has been acting funky latly on my CP latly. Thats what i get for having 500Mhz PIII processor on Windows 98 :p. Well, mabey it will sorta "fix" itself, like some of my other programs have done.

Ive already restored my system from where it was a few days ago through ConfigSafe (great tool, if you ever find your CP in a bad shape, or accadentally do somthing fatal to it's system files, ConfigSafe takes "snapshots" of your CP's registry and you can restore your CP to mostly how it was when that "snapshot" happend.), but M2 still didnt work very well. Pray for me! ^_^

Edited: 23 December 2004 13:49

Assain

23 December 2004 13:52 (UK time)

Mabey I need to re-download the game to this "new" computer graphic/driver wise, but im not so sure on that one. Its weird, becuase all of my FPS and 3-d games work fine, but anything that isnt 3-D that is a game or uses DirectX and not a 3-D game doesnt graphically work....

IMYSC2000T

30 December 2004 03:03 (UK time)

Your Windows may also be the culprit. I've experienced something similar to this before. I believe I fixed it by reinstalling Windows and resetting BIOS settings to more "normal" settings.

Edited: 31 December 2004 21:18

Assain

30 December 2004 19:27 (UK time)

Ya, but in another thread, i said that i fixed it buy (sucessfully) going back to my old drivers. Yay! :D

IMYSC2000T

31 December 2004 21:18 (UK time)

Oh, heh, OK then I guess all is well in Assain land! :)

James Bunting
01 January 2005 18:41 (UK time)

"<i>Your Windows may also be the culprit. I've experienced something similar to this before. I believe I fixed it by reinstalling Windows and resetting BIOS settings to more "normal" settings. </i>"

Is that all you had to do, thats amazing!

Assain

01 January 2005 19:13 (UK time)

Well, when i tried going back to the old drivers the first time, my CP went pack into 16 colors mode so... this last time it actually worked. nVIDIA SUCKS when installing drivers! If their program doesnt detect a card (little did i know the program has to be in the driver folders :p), then it auto restarts your CP and makes windows think you dont have a card and run windows in 16 colors mode :p.

James Bunting
02 January 2005 00:47 (UK time)

I was with you up to "Well" lol.

The joys of Windows drivers.

IMYSC2000T

05 January 2005 02:06 (UK time)

<i><b>"Is that all you had to do? That's amazing! "</b></i>

Heh are you serious or kidding?! 'Cuz yeah that's all I had to do. Why, does it take more time and effort for you to fix such problems? I don't know maybe I was lucky or something then.... Heh.

Edited: 05 January 2005 02:06

Assain

05 January 2005 22:49 (UK time)

So i can fix your problems when other people come accross them lol :D. Twas' my WHOLE PURPOSE IN THIS LIFE! FOR THE LOOOORRD!

(note: i am in no way meaning to insult your political and/or religous belefs with the previous comment, pleas only spam me instead of politcally/religious "sacraficing" me for your leader/god, for i already have you on my blocked list :D)

IMYSC2000T

12 January 2005 05:40 (UK time)

Umm, is that directed towards me? I wasn't really insulted politically or religiously by what you said.... Was I supposed to be? Maybe I just didn't get it.... Heh well I don't know. But what was that about me being on your block list? I didn't even know there was such a thing as a block list here, but why am I on your block list? Have I offended you in anyway? If so I apologize 'cuz I probably didn't mean to.... :( I'm really sorry.

Assain

13 January 2005 01:35 (UK time)

Lol chill, it was just a joke ^_^. I ment that cause i happen to know some extreme christian radicals (no offense) who might take the whole "for the looord" thing a bit to seriously. It wasnt direct at you, it was directed at anyone reading it in general too ^_^

IMYSC2000T

14 January 2005 07:32 (UK time)

Oh OK heh sorry I'm very quick to think everything negative (or potentailly negative) is directed at me.... That's just how it is in RL and elsewhere, online, and other places....

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use