You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Error Reporting  \  Microsoft Visual C++ map script compile error

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Microsoft Visual C++ map script compile error

Dthdealer

21 February 2009 06:21 (UK time)

Meteor 2 v1.3 beta 1 (January 28 build)
Operating system: Windows XP sp3 (build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)

The debug program (ftp://ftp.jbserver.com/pub/jbgames/meteor2/debug/meteor2_debug.zip)is not accessible dues to James password-protecting his FTP, so I'll upload the files here.

I was working on a new MP map and had just made a large modification to my script-file, so I saved and went in-game to check for compile errors. To my surprise, I didn't get a console compile error message but an error dialogue followed by a crash.

Unfortunately the map attached is a bit of a spoiler for what is to come, but I included it for an identical compile situation.

Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Edited: 21 February 2009 06:25

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

ParaSait

21 February 2009 09:37 (UK time)

Uhh? Very weird indeed o.O

Actually I didn't even the know the scripts were compiled by Visual C++, I thought James just built in a script interpreter in Meteor 2.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

arezey

21 February 2009 14:47 (UK time)

You have an unbalanced quote on line 91, that's what is causing it.

Consider using a text editor with syntax-highlighting:
- Notepad++: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/
- Notepad2: http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html
- Crimson Editor: http://www.crimsoneditor.com/
are quite cood ones IMO.

ParaScythe wrote:
Actually I didn't even the know the scripts were compiled by Visual C++, I thought James just built in a script interpreter in Meteor 2.

What do you think SeeR runs on? ;)

Edited: 21 February 2009 14:53

ParaSait

21 February 2009 14:56 (UK time)

arezey wrote:
What do you think SeeR runs on? ;)
Well, actually I had no idea how it really worked till now ;D

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Canuck

21 February 2009 15:28 (UK time)

Yeah, I've had this happen a few times too. It's always because I'm missing a quote mark somewhere, like this: SC_GameMessage("WTF?);
It's funny how something so simple causes a crash...

Dthdealer

22 February 2009 01:24 (UK time)

I use crimson, and I knew it had a bug. The reason I posted it here was to report the error that should have canceled compiling and made M2 handle it by presenting an error message in the console.

I used to use notepad++, but it would hide the last line of the file which would muck up the syntax highlighting.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Edited: 22 February 2009 01:25

arezey

22 February 2009 08:18 (UK time)

Oh, ok. Maybe I should do some sort of m2editor one day? But I don't have the time right now...

Dthdealer

22 February 2009 10:26 (UK time)

arezey wrote:
Oh, ok. Maybe I should do some sort of m2editor one day? But I don't have the time right now...

?? Do you mean de-compiling the M2 source-code and then releasing it with some sort of gui code editor?
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

arezey

24 February 2009 17:52 (UK time)

Dthdealer wrote:
?? Do you mean de-compiling the M2 source-code and then releasing it with some sort of gui code editor?

Of course not, I meant a dedicated script editor. :p

ParaSait

24 February 2009 18:55 (UK time)

@arezey

I wonder, would it be possible to find out the data structure of map files and make some sort of standalone map editor then? Actually I could use that due to:
- The complexity of making sectors with the standard map editor
- The way too fast scolling in the standard map editor on modern computers like mine =P

arezey

24 February 2009 20:10 (UK time)

ParaScythe wrote:
@arezey

I wonder, would it be possible to find out the data structure of map files and make some sort of standalone map editor then? Actually I could use that due to:
- The complexity of making sectors with the standard map editor
- The way too fast scolling in the standard map editor on modern computers like mine =P

Now that would be a lot more difficult..,

- I would need the .map format from James
- I don't how to read and write binaries with Tcl
- I don't know much about the [canvas] and can't create too complex things with it, textures are out of the question
- It would most probably lack a lot of things the map editor has, if not the most
- Other big obstacles that I can't think of right now

I don't think I would take on a project like this. :)

A script editor is a different thing, though...
- ctext could be easily made to provide syntax-highlighting
- Perhaps I could find out a way to get the current line's data using some [text] subcommand and use that to automate some code bits
- I could include a snippets storage, perhaps?
- Automated export-command adding, sure.

I bet it'd make life (or at least M2 scripting!) easier and is far more realistic as a goal. I'll try get some things out of the way and then take on this, perhaps.

ParaSait

24 February 2009 21:26 (UK time)

@arezey

Hey wait sec, maybe you should try to make some sort of WYSIWYG script editor. You know, like with a graphical user interface and such, and at the end it generates your script?

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

27 February 2009 12:03 (UK time)

that would be too hard to make
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use