You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Error Reporting  \  Enemies Shooting Out From The Screen!

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Enemies Shooting Out From The Screen!

Spy

28 July 2008 20:30 (UK time)

In Meteor 2, When You Play At Normal Or Higher Difficulty, You May Often Cross This Bug: Enemies Shoot You Before You Even See Them! So They Shoot Immidiatly After They Get Range! So, You May Be Get Killed Many Times Because Of This! But There MIGHT Be A Way! Change The Resolution! =P
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Canuck

29 July 2008 03:51 (UK time)

I ran into this problem while making maps for the mod I'm working on right now. Since most of the maps are indoors, I just placed a bunch of metal crates along the corridors for the player to cover behind until you can get close enough to see the enemies.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

29 July 2008 05:06 (UK time)

A bug? More like sloppy weapon making.

Many of the enemies use the same weapons the player has, so each of their weapons shoots the exact same range, spray factor, and deals the same damage as the player, but because they are computer controlled, they can shoot you from the very peak of the distance of their weapon, with near 100% accuracy (depending on the spray factor of the weapon) The only edge the player has against them is that you have more health than them, and you also are allowed to pickup health kits on the go. I have yet to find a useful strategy for taking these guys out.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 29 July 2008 05:08

ParaSait

29 July 2008 10:56 (UK time)

A.I. in M2 is indeed one of the minor points... (Sorry James)

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

DarkRain

29 July 2008 13:14 (UK time)

This is what I find most annoying in Meteor 2.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

Edited: 29 July 2008 13:15

Spy

29 July 2008 15:24 (UK time)

This Should Definetly Be Fixed!

Canuck

29 July 2008 15:42 (UK time)

I think the reason for it is that the screen we play the game on is rectangular, so you can see f-a-r-t-h-e-r northwest, northeast, southwest and southeast of your position f-a-r-t-h-e-r than to the east or west of you, and you can see f-a-r-t-h-e-r to the east or west of you than you can see north or south. The only way to really 'fix' it would be to have a circular screen, and that's probably not practical.

Edit: Sorry about the dashes, the first four letters of f-a-r-t-h-e-r get *ed out if you don't do that.

Edited: 29 July 2008 15:44

ParaSait

29 July 2008 18:57 (UK time)

Haha, I think I know why f-a-r-t-h-e-r is censored; look at the first four letters =P

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Canuck

29 July 2008 19:23 (UK time)

I guess that answers the question 'Is there a minimum age?'. These are very kid-friendly forums.

ParaSait

29 July 2008 20:29 (UK time)

Yeah, that's true. I already said that in that topic itself.

Dthdealer

30 July 2008 11:20 (UK time)

In m3 the AI is supposed to be entirely programmable.
The only difference between difficulties that I've noticed is the AI-firing range. Just play with them until one suits your resolution.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Spy

30 July 2008 16:09 (UK time)

Isnt It Spelled Further?

Canuck

30 July 2008 18:38 (UK time)

I think it can be spelled either way. I've always said 'f-arther'.

ParaSait

30 July 2008 21:37 (UK time)

Well, the correct spelling is 'further' but f-a-r-t-h-e-r is more commonly used.

Canuck

30 July 2008 21:58 (UK time)

Hang on--what country are you guys all from? I just looked it up in the dictionary and they're both there (and mean almost the same thing, but it might just be different depending on the country. I know British, Canadian and American English all have spelling variations for many words.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

31 July 2008 03:32 (UK time)

I think it's the type of tense you are using in the sentence.

For example, using swim as verb,

''I went to swim.''
''I swam.''
''I have swum.''

In f.arther's case, I guess it would be:

''I went far''
''I went f.arther''
''I have been further''

But I doubt anyone is that English literate to notice though. I mean, English is my native language and I still not know it through and through.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 31 July 2008 03:34

Canuck

31 July 2008 04:13 (UK time)

I think it must be that f'arther is used mostly to describe distance, wheras further is used for distance and to mean 'more'. Further can be used as in, say, "I went further' or 'It requires further testing', but f'arther can only really be used in the first sense.

I may use 'further' from now on, so I don't have to put periods or dashes or apostrophes in the middle of it when using the forums.

Funny how you can speak English for 17 years and not know these kind of things without looking them up. I don't feel so bad about the state of my French now.

And, wow... how did we get soooooooo off-topic?

Edited: 31 July 2008 04:14

Spy

31 July 2008 06:12 (UK time)

End Of This Junk!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DarkRain

31 July 2008 07:53 (UK time)

English is not my native language but I learned at school that there is a difference between f-a-r-t-h-e-r and further. But, yes, we are going off topic.

Edited: 31 July 2008 07:54

ParaSait

31 July 2008 11:48 (UK time)

So where were we? Oh, I remember:

'The only way to really 'fix' it would be to have a circular screen, and that's probably not practical.' (Canuck)

40oz
 Official Sponsor

31 July 2008 20:04 (UK time)

Or we could simply make new weapons for the enemies that are not identical to the players' weapons. Make them do less damage, more innaccurate, and shoot slower.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

ParaSait

01 August 2008 11:51 (UK time)

Yeah, very good idea because what always annoyed me, is that you already have about all weapons in 1/4 of the game (EDIT: I'm talking about M2 now) just because the enemies drop them. It would be better that enemies would be given enemy-weapons that they don't drop, except useful ammo, though. And you can find player weapons thoughout the missions. So for example, if there were 10 missions and 5 weapons, then you would find and a new weapon only every 2 missions (in the order of weakest to strongest). But of course, if you missed a weapon, you can also find some of them after the mission of first appearance. So if the machinegun would would be the 3rd weapon, you can find it for the first time around mission 6 but also in mission 7 and 8, and in level 9 perhaps they would start appearing in bigger quantities.

EDIT: WTH? Forum error! This post SHOULD appear after Papercut's last post, on 1st August. Not on 8 January before the first post?!

Edited: 01 August 2008 11:54

DarkRain

01 August 2008 19:29 (UK time)

I agree with Mrazerty.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use