You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Error Reporting  \  Top 12 meteor mp errors!

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Top 12 meteor mp errors!

me_mantis

02 December 2005 05:39 (UK time)

FIXED!#1. Server D/Cs Clients when answering a SC_ConfirmBox, if the server doens't answer fast enough.FIXED!
ALL DC ERRORS ARE FIXED!!! YAY GOOD JOB!

#2. When the server is acted upon by:
void Side1()
{
int PID;
PID = SC_GetPlayerObjectId();
SC_GameMessage("You have joined team 1";);
SC_SetObjectSide(PID,1);
SC_SetSectorTriggerEnabled(138,1);
SC_SetObjectCoords( PID, 160, 3030);
// an old way of letting ppl run over other ppl not any secrets here =P
}

The server, and all the players have the code executed upon them.
This means that if the host triggers this, all the clients are handeled with the same code, and all join the same team as him, and are teleported to the same location.

#3. When the host chooses to gather credits, he get to gather credits. When the client chooses to gather credits, the helicopter is made invincible, and nothing else happens. Until the waypoints are completec on the host comp.
if( !stricmp( ObjectFilename, "ChinookHelicopter.ob";) )
{

if(SC_ConfirmBoX("Would you like to gather credits?";))
{
SC_BindObjectToWaypoint(SC_GetPlayerObjectId(),0);
SC_GiveItem("Credit", 11321);//when you jump in, it gives you this, but you can't get out, untill it has gone through all the wpts
SC_SetObjectIndestructible(SC_GetPlayerObjectId(),1);//this way you can't be shot down when you are getting goodies!
SC_SetObjectNoTarget(SC_GetPlayerObjectId(),1);//Stops AI controlled stuff from shooting you.
}
else
{
SC_SetObjectIndestructible(SC_GetPlayerObjectId(),0);//makes it so you can be shot down
SC_SetObjectNoTarget(SC_GetPlayerObjectId(),0);//makes you shootable!
}
}
The player regains control after the helicopter that the host can see moving completes its waypoint path.
That means that the host ain't sending the waypoint bondage to the clients. THis used to work.

#4. After 1 game, the server doesn't give anyone spawns.

#5. When the server is in the _____(Classified object name here), and triggers the build AIStyle 2 unit, they get this confirm box. If the host clicks it fast enough, he doesn't D/C any clients,

and he gets what picks.
When the client does the same, he can only build non ai units

if(AIStyle == 2) //if the answer is 2, it lets you pick the AI type.
{
if(StaticFlags[4] == 0)
{
NewObjectAiType = AI_NONE;
}
else
if(StaticFlags[4] == 1)
{
if( SC_ConfirmBoX("SECRET CODE!!! I removed it!";))
{
NewObjectAiType = AI_ROAMING;
}
else
{
NewObjectAiType = AI_NONE;
}

}

}
#6 when the client gets into a chinook, he is given and $$. He is BOUND to the waypoint, but NOT MOVED ANYWHERE!
So he cannot move, or leave his chinook!
When the host changes teams, the client is attached to the waypoints.
This used to not happen.
if( !stricmp( ObjectFilename, "ChinookHelicopter.ob";) )
{

SC_BindObjectToWaypoint(SC_GetPlayerObjectId(),0);
SC_GiveItem("Credit", 11111);//when you jump in, it gives you this, but you can't get out, untill it has gone through allt h wpts

}
However, When the client's helicopter is finished with its waypoints, the client can once again control it. The server CAN see the helicopter flying on its waypoints.
This means that the server is NOT sending the clients their waypoint info anymore.

#7. When a player shoots shells in a vehicle, the other players see different projectile sprites. I shot a uber cannon, and 1 client reported seeing plasma. When he shot it, I saw rockets. When

you shoot a vehicles cannon, you see the correct projectiles.

This was not a prob in earlier versions

#8. Faster computers = faster object speeds. The projectile speeds are fixed now, and thats a very nice thing, but I am still faster than a player on a 1.1ghz computer.

#9. The host cannot acess password locked doors. When the host touches their sectors, nothing happens.

#10. The host can have unlimited credits, while the clients credits are voided after they reach a number over 32000.

Fixed!#11. powerups that spawn from objects on the map are picked up only once and DO NOT respawn!(they used to respawn in pairs, and were linked to eachother bt its fixed YAY)

Fixed#12. you can run over team mates!

#13. Your mp color defines nothing. It would be a nice way to let you pick what team your player will be before you start the game.

#14. When you are riding in a vehicle with a powerup like a yellow swipe card, and your vehicle is killed, the card is dropped by the vehicle.

#15. thats all for now!! GJ!

Edited: 02 December 2005 05:42

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

mike323
02 December 2005 05:55 (UK time)

#16: Sprites aren't colored by thier team.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

05 December 2005 03:47 (UK time)

I think #5 explains it, but when i was hosting at the multiplayer party, people that joined were overtaken by Roaming AI, and they all appeared to be holding all their weapons at once. And if i killed them I didnt earn a kill point.

I say we leave multiplayer for M1, and the single player experience for M2.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

05 December 2005 09:20 (UK time)

<B>Until</b> James takes contact on an exellent ENetist and creates stable multiplayer. :D

Assain

05 December 2005 12:05 (UK time)

Not nessicarily aleks. I just said it wouldnt kill to get some help on this, to speed things up abit, cause multi will rock with M2 :D

But if James thinks hes got a solution in-the-bag, or knows how to fix some of these errors, then great!

James Bunting
05 December 2005 15:13 (UK time)

Yes. Don't get too carried away with the "James can't do ENet" thing because ENet is not the issue here (plus it is simply not true).

The problems are simple (but frustrating) bugs.

Put in a nutshell v1.1 was released too early because of growing demand for multiplayer. To be honest 1.1 is barely up to beta standard.

The good news is that I have already fixed most of the bugs and MP M2 is undergoing proper testing. Connection issues have almost been eliminated, all of the coop maps are fixed and clients fire the correct projectiles (there are tons of other fixes including script engine errors).

Needless to say there will be a v1.11 patch released in the very near future. Once things are stable the main download will also be updated to the new version.

Following this version work will begin on a web-based M2 server browser allowing people to see a list of games on the Internet and connect directly.

There are also plans to optimise areas of the game code to radically increase frame rates, this is likely to come after the server browser but it could all come at once. Hopefully people can use the F9 performace panel and report the areas which provide the most slow down. These areas will then be targetted for heavy optimisation. It is well known that the object handling and drawing code is choppy.

Generally speaking things are progessing well with M2 putting aside the (unwise) early release of v1.1. Things are being addressed in phases and will improve as such until the game is solid and fast.

Then come the add-on packs.

James.

James Bunting
05 December 2005 15:15 (UK time)

I should mention somewhere that the "beta standard" comment refers to multiplayer mode whereas single player (and general M2 interface) has shown promising improvement.

me_mantis

05 December 2005 19:28 (UK time)

@James
I don't think it was too unwise, because It did get everyone interented in meteor 2 again, or at least It got some useful topic on the forum. And how could you, the wise one, with the help of the wise cat ever do something unwise? =D
I like the remix of Black Cliffs =D

@papercut.
I believe that the errir when you get a ton of players sitting around holding all the weapons is an error that occours when the player hits space too many times before the server lets him spawn.
When I played vs James las saturday, I pressed space too many times, and I was prespawned all over the map.

James Bunting
05 December 2005 19:34 (UK time)

Thats interesting to know. I can simply either:

- Not respawn already spawned players (technically best).
- Ensure that any older players are removed from the map prior to respawning (more reliable).

Assain

05 December 2005 20:58 (UK time)

"The good news is that I have already fixed most of the bugs and MP M2 is undergoing proper testing. Connection issues have almost been eliminated, all of the coop maps are fixed and clients fire the correct projectiles (there are tons of other fixes including script engine errors)."

Wow, this makes me soo excited for the new vesion, especially the "game search" interface you plan on implementing! YAY! Not to mention the hopefully performance increases. Looks like we might have to start another M2 multi gather when the primed-up multi patch comes out :D

From my experience, performance was mostly sucked from the game trying to keep track of way to many objects at the same time. In my opionion, you should make it an option in the options menu for a "performance saving" object-tracking solution (read my Performance and You post), as thouse with good computers could propbilby handle it. Although, if the problem is that the game just has a hard(er) time keeping track of tons of objects/sprites/sectors, and you have a solution to make it more "speedy", then go ahead :D

Also, even if the textures/objects are compressed in image size, it seems as if "detailed"(many verts) or alot of sectors/a high quality texture is on the screen the game runs alot slower. I dunno if this is really a problem with how/if the game handles its own style of object/texture "compression" so FPS is at its highest possible, or its just me. Mabey if you find a way for the game to "compress visuals/textures" or how it runs the game at a slight cost of quality, you could also have it as an option in the options menu? As a matter of fact, now that i think about it, it seems as if the entire visual part of Meteor 2 is used on the CPU/RAM instead of the GPU, as I have an FX 5200, and eventhough it isnt considered "good", it sure should handle the visuals alot better than what my CPU/RAM is capable of. Of course, the problem i mentioned with visuals above might not even be the problem, it could all tie into how the game keeps track of things.

And i agree with mantis, after all, multiplayer has to start somewhere :)

Edited: 05 December 2005 21:01

me_mantis

05 December 2005 21:15 (UK time)

If you didn't respawn already spawned playersm then if you pressed space too soon, it would spawn a "zombie" of you, and you couldn't spawn!

I'm sure you will be able to bypass that, but it would be a problem.

arezey

06 December 2005 17:14 (UK time)

I'm pretty sure we will have another party when the next release is, well, released!!! :D

James Bunting
06 December 2005 20:17 (UK time)

Yes the turn around time for v1.11 should be quite short. Obviously I am keen to get a less buggy version released quickly.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

08 December 2005 02:49 (UK time)

So v.1.1 is about the halfway point of M2? Wow!

Along with list of servers to join, there should also be a dedicated server that is always open with a player limit of 64. Maybe even multiple base servers. (deathmatch server, teamplay server, coop server, scripted map server etc.)

Since there will rarely be enough players to fill a server based on the amount of M2 players we got, this could work well, since it will be much easier to join a dedicated server right away, than search for a server with someone in it. Not to mention the whole organization of games and IP adresses and times. And also because some people hate hosting servers (me).
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

shockdrop

08 December 2005 05:04 (UK time)

"Since there will rarely be enough players to fill a server based on the amount of M2 players we got,"
Im trying my best...but ppl dont pay attention to me...i know...i have like 3 threads no one fu.cking even replied to!!

"this could work well, since it will be much easier to join a dedicated server right away, than search for a server with someone in it."
Ya got that right...

"Not to mention the whole organization of games and IP adresses and times. And also because some people hate hosting servers (me)." Yep...i already said that...huh...

OH! i thought of something...no...well maybe. What if there was something liek if someone was serching to play, and was on a server, and yourt playing there could be a list to show the up servers...meh...its better in my head, then typed, trust me...

Assain

08 December 2005 12:07 (UK time)

The problem with dedicated servers is that the computer that its on needs to be on and connected all the time. Of course, this is what a server computer is built for, being on 24/7 while having lots of traffic.

Unfortunatly, these cost some amount of money :\

But james said he was planning on making a "server" list, showing any game that is currently open.

But on an unrealated note, i definatly thing people/turrets on the AI turn WAY to slow. Mabey there could be a "turret speed" option under the object editior?

arezey

08 December 2005 12:51 (UK time)

You can do <b>that</b> yourself. Acutally this is global to all objects in the human class, a liittle warning for you but...

Go to the ObjectClasses.ini file and make the TurnSpeed value larger.

James Bunting
08 December 2005 14:07 (UK time)

Yes play around with the turn speeds and suggest new values.

Then we can take a vote!

me_mantis

08 December 2005 16:39 (UK time)

Speaking of turn speeds. I found a few other problems related to the game.ini
A. you can fly backwards in a plane, and stop in mid air.
B. AI turrets are too slow.
C. In multiplayer, the turret rotation controlled by right click aiming is too fast. This should not be instant. the turret should track toward the aiming cursor at a rate defined in the weapon editor.
D. Aircraft(planes) are basically worthless in mp. The dark jet kills itself 9 out of 10 raids. On a raid when it doesn't kill itsself, its killed by the other players.
I made/remade the 2 helicopters and I let the bomber have a scope, and rotating weapons. this helped a lot. I also gave the darkjet 5 miniguns, but this didn't do much.

If the planes could be adjusted to have smaller turning circles that would help.

It would also be cool if the planes shadows moved up or down in relation to their speed.

Finally, I don't think you should be able to jump out of a plane until its stopped, and on the ground.

shockdrop

08 December 2005 20:35 (UK time)

"Finally, I don't think you should be able to jump out of a plane until its stopped, and on the ground."
But then theres no fun in suicide jumps...not that you CAN do them really....

Assain

08 December 2005 21:04 (UK time)

About jumping out untill its stopped...

How about you can jump out of the plane while its moving but that would cause you to pop up a "parachute" sprite above the object/player and you wouldnt be able to move untill the player/object's shadow hit the ground? The plane would continue moving untill it stops (when it does, it explodes). Stop means, whnever the speed decreases on it's own till it stops, or when it gets stopped by a wall, ect.

Also, you could create some really sweet "paradrops" via scrips with this (thinkin RA2 here on the first Sov. mission). Such as, call the script to "drop one passenger", or just simply GetOutOfVehicle one by one.

arezey

10 December 2005 11:17 (UK time)

Nice idea, though I'm pretty sure that's bit hard for James to do. Well, let's C.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use