You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Error Reporting  \  Performance and YOU.

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Performance and YOU.

Assain

20 October 2005 03:58 (UK time)

Well, after beta testing and complialing data on the structureization on DirectX, Meteor 2, and other high-resource programs, combined with the ultimate answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything (which is 42), multiplied by E=mc^2, i have come the the conclusion that:

M2 eats more resources than it should.

Simply put, M2 1.01 seems to take up alot more resources than the previous beta's. This apparently is due to the new object detection system, which meerly makes it so the game's object detection box roates with the sprite, which is pretty basic, yet it seems to take up too many resources.

Also, ive noticed that the way M2 handles maps/visuals/ect is pretty in-efficent. As technically if this game was tweeked enoguh on my 500MHz, it should run pretty smooth, mabey at 20-25 FPS in the heat of battle, but still good. When i am just in a map without any activity going on, the game runs at a measily 15 FPS (mabey 20). That means that it appears to be taking way to many resources to load a few lines of code and a small collection of PCX images (which reminds me, make M2 PCX only, or whatever is the smallest filesize [JPG/GIF?], as you get less performance on images/sprites that are not PCX [jpg/gif?]). I can run full blow badly coded 3D FPS's better than this!

Of course, i know (or i hope), that the code isnt "optimized" yet. ATM, if i were to give out minimum specs, it would have to be atleast 1.0GHz for smooth gameplay.

Ideas:

-Make any object that is beyond your view even if you activate the object a "dot of referenece" (as in it isnt even rendered/ect unless it comes into your screen or is engaging in scripts/enemies/ect). This might already be going on.

-Make any object that is out of your view for more than 5 seconds after a certain distance inactive again, unless specifically told to keep awake by script/ect. Even if there are enemy units nearby, it (and the other units) will shut off as points of reference untill you get into a certain range that is alittle more than your current resolution. Trust me, this was desperately needed on the Train Warehouse level with all the boxes... they were not needed, and i was not viewing them, so why spend extra resources keeping them active? Simply put, objects go back to dormancy after a short bit and after a short range from you.

-You really need to find a better way to deal with map layers being drawn, and re-drawn, ect whenever you open a door/ect/anything with sectors... it really is not that nessicarry. Ive heard that this is pretty much required on the current engine though. How abotu makeing it so it does this, except the map is divided in "sections" instead of as a whole, so only the current section on the grid re-draws itself. This could seriously make performance alot better, and you could also make un-used/un-active "cells" not use up resources by havign them dormant untill the player enters the cell (much like a cell loading system that sucks in FPS's but is quite handy in 2D shooters). The cell then is just put in a dormant state much like the object idea if your view is say... 2000 or so units away.

Well, anyways, hope some of this helps.

PS: You really need to work on Object Detection... perhaps anything that is transpartent (magic pink color) on the sprite is "open space" that you can walk into? Much better! Although first you need to figure out how to do this without crashing a low-end computer... I am always open for beta testing some parts of the game for a good opionion on how well it performs on a 500MHz!

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

mike323
20 October 2005 04:40 (UK time)

Wow.

Got some nice ideas there, but unfortunately I cannot relate as I just got the latest 3.2 gHz AMD Athlon 3200+, and I think James has the same, so us 'tech-guzzlers' don't notice any performance fault. Maybe the minimum specs should be a 2.6 gHz w/ a GeForce 5200 or better.

Assain

20 October 2005 11:55 (UK time)

Well this game isnt really a video card/RAM hog (unless you count the loading times when your starting up the game/going into the editor, ect). Its more of a CPU hog.

Ive seen some great games that are 3D and are also CPU hogs (and that happen to not run to well) that can run better on this computer.

Well, im not saying that 500MHz would be the best minimum, as i know im gonna get slowdowns at some point, but right now the game isnt really optimized to run "as a quick game to have on your random crappy computer". I was able to get the Beta 1.2 to run perfectly (ok, so my framerates werent to good) on my 200MHz "random shitty computer", but this version, even if on the same exact maps than the 1.2 BETA version, wouldnt run AT ALL.

Well, i dont know. Im just saying that IMO this takes up quite alot of resources many times when it isnt nessicary to do so, which is a drawback for someone who would want to place it on a random computer/laptop that isnt so great. I just think that this game is taking up alot for what it is (in essence, a bunch of refereances running into each other on walls and turning to shoot whatever enemy that comes into view, and these references just happen to have PCX images pasted into thier place. Which reminds me, if you could get the visual part to run through DirectX, then that takes the visual burden off the CPU... unless this is already being done or wouldnt matter anyways.).

me_mantis

20 October 2005 17:19 (UK time)

I have had some preformance issues when I created a epic battle in which both teams spawned an unlimited number of units. My computer slowed to 2.5 fps with only 100 active objects.

My computer still slows down with the 50 units I have in the battle now.

Computers with slower processors(600mgz!!!) can play as fast as computers with nice processors (xp2400) when their screen resolution is down, the lighting is off and buttons are not transparant.

What is you screen resolution set at?

Assain

20 October 2005 20:36 (UK time)

Yes, im only on 800x600 (the minimum i will ever play in a top down game for it to be fun).

What difference does tranlucent text boxes make?

And me turning of lighting, well i dont think so, and ive tried it, it didnt help me much at all :\

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use