You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 1  \  Meteor Modding  \  Meteor Portal

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Meteor Portal

40oz
 Official Sponsor

19 July 2008 02:12 (UK time)

I'm not entirely sure how this would work, but i was thinking of a mod idea in which I made a series of puzzle maps using teleports.

I'm considering something like the player gets a single weapon with a very small blast radius in all of the maps. The weapon could be used to shoot walls, the walls destroyed tile would be a teleport. This way you could shoot one wall, shoot another, and be able to teleport to it.

Again I am not positive this will work, this is just a thought. Can anyone think of a concept of how this could work?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

ParaSait

19 July 2008 14:12 (UK time)

I think that would be possible with the Rod3D/Meteor 3 engine as it features projectile scripting commands. But in Meteor 1, I don't think so.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

DarkRain

21 July 2008 16:55 (UK time)

When you shoot at a wall, you can make it turn into a teleport. When you shoot at the teleport, you can make it turn into the same wall. I think it's possible for the teleport to be solid.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

Spy

22 July 2008 08:45 (UK time)

Well, This Is Kinda Hard To Make, Well, Worth Of A Try!
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

ParaSait

22 July 2008 18:37 (UK time)

I don't think it can be too hard; I don't know anything about M1 tile modding but I assume there is a 'If-shot-then-change-into-what-tile'-like property.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

24 July 2008 03:55 (UK time)

Yeah I'm thinking of a new gun, the only gun available in the entire map that does 1 damage (because it can't be any lower) and has a really small explosive radius (to destroy the tiles)

Every wall essentially could be destroyable. Every 'destroyed' wall will just look like a wall with a portal in it. The wall will be useless until you 'destroy' another wall by shooting it. Then when you walk into the destroyed wall, that is actually a teleport, it will teleport you to the other wall.

The only problem I can see is if too many walls are shot to have portals in them, then meteor won't know which portal to teleport to. If I remember correctly, meteor teleports you to the closest one. Maybe it could use Dark Rain's suggestion of shooting the wall again would turn it back to a normal wall. I'm gonna make a test run and see if this works.

EDIT: also I wonder if the player would get stuck in the walls after teleporting through them?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 24 July 2008 03:56

40oz
 Official Sponsor

24 July 2008 04:29 (UK time)

I tested it. It was a little buggy but it worked!

Problems I encountered:

To avoid getting stuck in walls, I at first made the player character a really small sprite, but somehow it could walk through walls and water and stuff. I guess the collision detection isn't very effective for small sprites.

I later changed the player character sprite to a Tech Bloke, which conveniently showed no problems.

Making the portal tile land made it easier to walk in and out of though, shooting it again just makes the portal projectile go through another portal, which keeps turning all the walls into portals, which is kinda messy. I switched it to Solid, occasionally the player gets stuck, something I cannot fix, but the player can walk in and out of portals most of the time. Worse comes to worse, you can use the kill command in the console.

Using destroyed tiles, it placed fire around all the portals, so I'll have to have a new gamedefs file that removes the fire sprite for that.

Meteor does not allow for weapons with unlimited ammo, so I made it powered by bullets. I put a bunch of bullet boxes right on the starting location, so you shouldn't run out of ammo unless you are completely retarded.

Here's some screenshots!

*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Spy

24 July 2008 05:01 (UK time)

TSX SPREAD CANNON XD!!
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

ParaSait

24 July 2008 11:50 (UK time)

Hmm, cool idea. But I wonder what happens if you shoot 3 walls or more?

DarkRain

24 July 2008 12:40 (UK time)

That's awesome! Your idea is great, Papercut!

40oz
 Official Sponsor

24 July 2008 15:19 (UK time)

Yeah I didnt make any items or powerups so it was a TSX spread cannon for the time being, however the weapon shot a different projectile, so no suicides here.

Just as I remembered, if there are 3 or more portals opened in the walls, the one you walk into will teleport you to the nearest one. In order to solve big portal puzzles, you will need to remember to shoot your old portals after you are done with them to avoid going into wrong areas.

I was working on some more portal puzzles. One was where there was a small room with an acid pit, and the exit across the acid pit blocked by a force field, the player had to go down a different hallway filled with acid using portals to get to the switch that deactivates the forcefield, then go back to the beginning and make a portal to the exit.

I was also working on another portal puzzle where the exit was blocked by a door that required a Code CD. The Code CD was in a nearby hallway but there was a guarding minigun trooper across from it. (Notice how by default the Portal Guy only has 1 health) The player would need to get at an angle around the corner of the minigun trooper, just enough so that he couldnt see him, shoot the wall across from the minigun trooper, then shoot another wall. Then the player could pick up an uzi and shoot the minigun trooper through the portals. It was awesome!

Though Portals are still very buggy, the player will get stuck more often than not. I'm hoping to find a way to fix this.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

DarkRain

26 July 2008 08:32 (UK time)

That is going to be a great project!

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use