You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 1  \  Meteor Modding  \  Mankind E2 Developmental Thread

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Mankind E2 Developmental Thread

40oz
 Official Sponsor

17 July 2008 19:37 (UK time)

Before I get sidetracked into editing for a different game, I may as well get the ball rolling for Mankind Episode 2. I want Mankind E2 to bigger, badder, harder, and awesomer.

This thread is basically the progress log, and for discussion of Mankind E2's direction.

I think I am going to need more help for Mankind, so if any of you guys would like to sign up, the signup sheet is right here (tell me you want to help, and I'll edit this post with who is helping)

For now, here is the list of positions

+Mapping - this is a big one. I am not very good at pumping out a bunch of good maps, but I am really good at making empty rooms look full. If you can make a simple map design with lots of rooms and winding hallways with a start and an exit, health ammo and monsters, that's all we need. Let me know if you'd like to be a mapper. I'll put you on the signup sheet.

+Blueprints - this is for people who want to help direct what Mankind E2 will be like. This includes, map style, weapons, monsters, etc. To fill this position you will have to have played and finished E1 entirely. You will also be required to discuss this stuff in IRC rather than on this thread. Let me know if you'd like to be part of BluePrints. I'll put you on the signup sheet.

+Graphics - If you can come up with tiles (not tilesets, 16x16 images of tiles instead) or graphics of new monsters or decorative sprites, that would be excellent. If you can make sprites and junk, you are welcome to this position. Let me know if you'd like to be part of Graphics. I'll put you on the signup sheet.

SIGNUP SHEET

Mappers
---Naval War
---Aleksanteri
---Knasp
---Dark Rain

BluePrints
---Mrazerty

Graphics
---Knasp
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 22 August 2008 15:36

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Spy

17 July 2008 19:47 (UK time)

Ill Sing For Mapping!
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

40oz
 Official Sponsor

19 July 2008 15:58 (UK time)

Okay now that that's out of the way, I'm just about finished with the tileset. Though i generated some errors with the doors that require keys. I'm not really sure what happened but for some reason they aren't working right.

When I get that fixed, I'll be able to send out my tileset so you guys can start mapping. So far, on the Mapping team I have Naval War and Aleksanteri. Still no one for Blueprints. And a guy from EliteKamikazeTeam named Tupakk making new tiles for me, and possible other graphics.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

ParaSait

19 July 2008 17:06 (UK time)

If blueprints is what I think it is (making floor-plans for maps) I'm in for that. But I'm not sure though what you mean by 'blueprints'.

EDIT: OK, I read the description in your first post. Count me in =)
EDIT2: Argh... I didn't play Ep1 yet, which is one of the requirements. Too bad...
EDIT3: OK, I played it now. It's the best I ever played BTW. Not one of the best mods, but THE best mod, really! Count me in for the blueprints.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Edited: 19 July 2008 19:10

ParaSait

20 July 2008 10:05 (UK time)

Okay, since yesterday I started making a text file wherein I collect all my ideas. And I have already made a brilliant storyline ;)

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

20 July 2008 15:30 (UK time)

Okay, I just want to let you know my side of the story too so we can intertwine the two together. We'll discuss it on IRC.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

ParaSait

21 July 2008 12:26 (UK time)

*IDEA!*

Say, what if you write down your storyline in a .txt file and then perhaps I can combine the 2 versions!

Spy

21 July 2008 16:16 (UK time)

Hey, When Do We Get Started?

ParaSait

21 July 2008 16:52 (UK time)

We're still creating a storyline; I've made one and Papercut made one, and we're going to try to combine them soon. After that's done, we're going to start working on it.

Btw, join the chat. That way we can communicate easier.

Edited: 21 July 2008 16:53

40oz
 Official Sponsor

21 July 2008 20:19 (UK time)

Naval War: I'm still working on the tileset, I encountered a bug with the doors and am still having trouble overcoming it. If you want, send me an email.

My address is papercut1425 at yahoo dot com
(Replace at with @ and dot with .)

Then I will send you the tileset as it is, and directions for Mankind mapping (Because it's different than regular meteor mapping.) Just avoid using doors that require keys and your map should work.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 21 July 2008 20:20

Spy

22 July 2008 08:31 (UK time)

Umm, Ok! I Think I Got That! But One Thing Left: The Map Sizes? And How Many Maps Do You Want From Me? Because Aleksanteri Is Mapping Also?

Edited: 22 July 2008 08:32

40oz
 Official Sponsor

22 July 2008 15:30 (UK time)

Well as a mapper you have to make a minimum of one. But you can make as many as you like.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Spy

22 July 2008 17:17 (UK time)

XD Ill Sure Make A Few Or More! But The Map Size? The Regular?

ParaSait

22 July 2008 18:40 (UK time)

Papercut, can you send all my level descriptions in Mankind.txt to the mappers? That way they know what they should look like and such.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

22 July 2008 20:41 (UK time)

Ah I fixed the key operated doors and now they work correctly!

Aleksanteri, and Naval War, I need your email addresses. DONT tell me them here, just send me an email and I will reply with the tileset attached.

Mrazerty: a lot of your map descriptions put emphasis on new monsters and weapons that I had not developed yet. And many of them are techy factory styled maps, and not so much the gothic theme that I am going for. We'll have to go over it a little more.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

ParaSait

22 July 2008 22:04 (UK time)

OK, perhaps make the first few levels underneath-the-factory-ish and after that the player will discover that most of the underground part of the factory was built into some kind of ruin (so with the gothic tiles). The reason they did that is up to you, but please make it fit into my storyline as much as possible. Thanks =)

Spy

23 July 2008 09:52 (UK time)

I Have Made My First Level. It Misses The Exit Tile So I Cant Finish It! EDIT: Oh And, Its The Intro Map! Is That Ok? Im A Bit New To Mod Mapping, Like I Cant Do What I Want, Can I Name The Maps? Because Its Like The Intro! So I Dunno, Can I Even Make Da Intro Map? I Think I Made It Too Big! I Mean The Map, Not The Area Of Map Where Ya Play, So I Like Havent Used Alot From The Map, Is That Ok?

Edited: 23 July 2008 09:57

40oz
 Official Sponsor

23 July 2008 15:48 (UK time)

Oops, I forgot the exit tiles. Instead just make your map have a hallway that goes out toward the border of the map, I'll update the tileset to have Exit tiles soon.

I guess it's alright if you make an intro map. Don't use a whole mess of message strings though. The only thing that bothered me in The Naval Wars was that there were chat messages every two steps, and most of it was information I didn't really need to know to complete the level.

I think it may be possible to resize the map, though you run the risk of clipping parts of the map that you need. Save your map, try it, and if it does cut out parts you need, then load the map again. DO NOT save the map with parts of your map cut out.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 23 July 2008 15:52

Spy

23 July 2008 16:18 (UK time)

Ok! Thanks! Oh And For Sad News, It MAY Be That This Is The Only Map I Make, Wait A Minute... Nope! I Make More Maps Over And Out! I Included Only 2 Messages In The First Level! Is That Ok? AND SHOULD THE MAP SIZE BE DEFAULT? I Mean, Minimun? Oh And Do You Want My Map Now Or Later In Ur Mail? Oh And, In A Level Can I Use Any Tiles I Want? (Not Meteor Tiles!) Or Is It Bad That I Give Any Tiles I Want In One Level Like Random? ( Sorry For Being Such A Jerk!) PS: Im On My Dad's So I Cant Create Maps But Still Answer Me HERE Because I Wanna Know Every Last Detail!!! Oh And, If I Keep The Map Too Big And Dont Rezize It, Will You Be Angry, No No No! I Mean: Will You Scrap Or Do Somethin About It. I Mean, Like Will You Just Let It Be Or Do You Do Something About It? PPS: Check Out The New Thread Request Thing In M2 Forum If You Havent Allready! ( And Sorry For Being A Jerk!) I Cant Do Nutin About That Im A Bit Newb!

Edited: 23 July 2008 17:03

40oz
 Official Sponsor

23 July 2008 18:09 (UK time)

Ugh, it's too much to discuss here, you'll have to come on to the IRC chatroom sometime and discuss it with me there.

Except not today because the IRC server is down and won't let anyone log in, try again some other day.

The map size really doesn't matter, Just make sure there's a good starting room, a hallway leading to the exit at some point, and that there are enemies, and just enough health and ammo, not much. However, I wouldn't let the player get any big weapons yet, especially for the first level. Send me your map by email whenever you feel it's done, there's no rush. 2 messages is fine, don't make much more though, I prefer the only message triggers used are ones that say "A Secret is Revealed!" but because it's the intro map, whatever messages you have are acceptable. And it doesn't matter which tiles you use for the first level.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 23 July 2008 18:12

Spy

23 July 2008 20:56 (UK time)

Hey, Can I Name The Maps? And The Future Maps, Can I Randomize The Tiles Then? And, That Was Really Helpful, Thankyou! I Will Send It When I Get An Exit Tile!

40oz
 Official Sponsor

24 July 2008 03:48 (UK time)

Yeah you can name the maps anything you think sounds cool. But what do you mean by randomizing the tiles?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Spy

24 July 2008 04:29 (UK time)

YAY!! I Mean That Can I Put A MIxture Of Any Tiles I Want In The Later Levels?

40oz
 Official Sponsor

25 July 2008 15:08 (UK time)

Yeah I guess that's fine.

I don't want this project to become uninteresting so I want to verify with you guys that progress is being made. There are currently 2 finished new monsters. (In the 2nd and 3rd image of my avatar you can get a quick glimpse of them)

I've done a little bit of mapping. Here's some screenshots of my progress.

As you can see in the second and third screenshot, that the Mankind style is starting to evolve in a new environment, the harsh reality of the monsters that came here brought a portion of their dimension with them, the combination of tech and the dark hellish area they originated from formed these gothic brick and metallic castle-like areas. That of which the player will be doing most of the fighting in.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

DarkRain

26 July 2008 08:41 (UK time)

Great work, Papercut! I look forward to playing the second episode!
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

07 August 2008 03:08 (UK time)

Unfortunately I kinda have to put Mankind on hiatus due to a malfunction on the computer it was on. The computer currently does not run windows, however the data is still intact. I will attempt to extract the data from the hard drive, or pray that someone fixes the computer in the near future.

Until then, Mankind E2 is at a standstill.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Canuck

07 August 2008 04:31 (UK time)

Oh, oh...that can't be good...

So how soon do you think you can get it fixed?

Edited: 07 August 2008 04:33

Spy

07 August 2008 07:46 (UK time)

Oh Noes! But Papercut, If We Dont Make It Alive In This Mod, Remember That I Was Allways There For This!

ParaSait

07 August 2008 12:23 (UK time)

Aww guys don't be so negative. The data is still OK, so what's the problem? Papercut will probably just have to continue the development on a new computer. SO WHAT?

Canuck

07 August 2008 15:53 (UK time)

Yes...I think the trick is in getting the data out of the old computer and into the new one. Not sure how difficult that is.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

07 August 2008 16:41 (UK time)

Yeah I'll have to talk to my brother when he gets back from his trip to either fix the commputer or help me extract the data from it. Mankind E2 is not dead, I already made too much progress on it to call it off.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

18 August 2008 01:42 (UK time)

Data Extracted.
Mankind E2 is trucking again :)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

DarkRain

18 August 2008 07:36 (UK time)

Papercut wrote:
Data Extracted.
Mankind E2 is trucking again :)

That's great news! :)

Knasp

18 August 2008 10:14 (UK time)

I could help doing some maps and some graphics, if you can provide the tiles?

I'd need some direction though! ;)

40oz
 Official Sponsor

18 August 2008 11:32 (UK time)

:-O Knasp!

Your signed up buddy, shoot me an email, ill send you the tileset.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

ParaSait

18 August 2008 16:02 (UK time)

W00t, Mandkind Ep 2 can finally be continued =D

Spy

19 August 2008 08:45 (UK time)

Ye! Ill Start Making Maps When I Come Home From School! (Im Not Sure Did My Mom Take My Mouse)! :|

Canuck

20 August 2008 01:26 (UK time)

Naval War wrote:
(Im Not Sure Did My Mom Take My Mouse)! :|

Well, you're from Finland, no? Just tell your mom that these forums are a great way to improve your English! (It's very good already)

Edited: 20 August 2008 01:27

James Bunting
20 August 2008 01:36 (UK time)

@Papercut

Hey PC, we have gone full res on the meteormods screenshots. Do you have a full size version of the screenshot you made up for Send it right here if you have it.

James

Edited: 20 August 2008 01:41

40oz
 Official Sponsor

21 August 2008 01:38 (UK time)

Done. I updated the screenshots myself.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Spy

22 August 2008 08:55 (UK time)

Heh! This Is Slick! I Mean Slick! SLICK! (^^,)

Dthdealer

24 August 2008 01:19 (UK time)

Mankind 1 rocked, I can't wait for 2!

Attached is a pcx file of a 'spinner'. Something that that spins and kills you if you get too close :)

EDIT: The forums won't let me attach pcx files. I'll upload a PNG version.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Edited: 24 August 2008 01:21

40oz
 Official Sponsor

24 August 2008 02:30 (UK time)

whoa that's really weird, I actually had a vision of a monster similar to that, and I drew it too, it was a much smaller version of it, and I made it shoot plasma in all directions instead of killing people that hit it. I also used it as a Sub Bitmap so that it would spin too.

Hate to spoil an early monster I was working on, but here's the image I made. Try and pick out the differences, it's really outrageous how similar our ideas were without even communicating to each other about it.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 24 August 2008 02:31

Dthdealer

24 August 2008 11:41 (UK time)

I also made it a sub-bitmap. The object's weapon would be the range of the spinning tentacles, but M1 refused to play nice, making me have to wait for the invisible object sprite to turn to me before shooting me.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

DarkRain

24 August 2008 16:11 (UK time)

Great images, good ideas. :)

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

21 December 2008 02:37 (UK time)

whats the progress?
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

DarkRain

21 December 2008 08:50 (UK time)

PetiX wrote:
whats the progress?

Unfortunately I haven't made maps for some time and Papercut hasn't sent me the new units either.

Spy

22 December 2008 10:36 (UK time)

This mod is going down... Ugh, the IRC ain't working either! :|

ParaSait

23 December 2008 22:10 (UK time)

I can remember Papercut said his computer crashed and he could only recovered few of the mod's data, that's probably what's slowing it down...

DarkRain

24 December 2008 15:04 (UK time)

Mrazerty wrote:
I can remember Papercut said his computer crashed and he could only recovered few of the mod's data, that's probably what's slowing it down...

Really? That's bad news. :(

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use