You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 1  \  Bugs (v1.2 and above)  \  What Is This?!

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: What Is This?!

Spy

01 August 2008 18:45 (UK time)

There Are Being Deleted Posts And Everything From The Forums! Is This Done By Moderators/James Or Is This A Bug/Hack!?
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

ParaSait

01 August 2008 20:02 (UK time)

Yeah we know, it's a bug in the forum. It's being discussed in http://jbserver.com/forums/ThreadView.asp?ForumId=4&TopicId=21&ThreadId=1652

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Dthdealer

02 August 2008 05:16 (UK time)

I have a strange feeling I'm younger because of this glitch...
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

02 August 2008 07:27 (UK time)

what a strange bug..
btw moderators delete only the useless junk from the forums..
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

ParaSait

02 August 2008 09:18 (UK time)

It seems that Canuck's theory about days confused with months and vice versa is correct. Today it's February and tomorrow it's going to be March ;)

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Dthdealer

02 August 2008 10:14 (UK time)

What'll happen when it's the 13th?

P.S. Gak! I'm aging faster!
Quick! Someone get the miracle face-cream!

Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

ParaSait

02 August 2008 13:07 (UK time)

Well, in terms of programming that would be 'Undefined'. Within a few days it's the 8'th Undefined 2008, hooray! XD

Canuck

02 August 2008 14:56 (UK time)

Or else the whole forum will just crash. Hopefully not, though. You're probably more well-versed in programming and all that than I am.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

02 August 2008 17:54 (UK time)

DthDealer: You actually shouldn't be aging any more than before this bug happened, February 2008 was 6 months ago :p
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 02 August 2008 17:55

ParaSait

02 August 2008 21:46 (UK time)

@Canuck:
I don't think the forum will crash due to this little bug. Most date systems are like this: First of, server checks it's day&month by a function that returns an ID number, for example 1 for January, 2 for February etc... and then it's just a switch...case matter (or something similar).

For some dark reason, the server confuses the two variables that store these ID numbers.

But the forum won't crash as the switch...case function is basically like this: It looks at the desired value and then does some sort of checklist. For example, if the month ID number is 1, it sets the month name value to 'January etc...
Plus, at the end there is also a default, an action to do when none of the values matches. When there is no default though, the function will do nothing, and the month name variable will stay Undefined.

And about the post order: The server may not know any name for a '13th month' so the onth name will be Undefined but it doesn't look this either, it only looks at the ID. And as 13 is bigger than 12, it will appear at the very end of the topic.

At least, that's my hypothesis. I'm not entirely sure it's like that but the chance is pretty big.

But I don't think it's anything we should worry about. It's a very minor and easy-to-fix bug. I hope James notices this soon, because the post order for most topics is pretty screwed up now and it's confusing me. =D

EDIT: Wow, that was one long explaination o_O

Edited: 02 August 2008 21:49

40oz
 Official Sponsor

03 August 2008 02:27 (UK time)

I sent James a message about it, hopefully he will get it fixed before the end of December :)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Dthdealer

03 August 2008 09:34 (UK time)

Posting past the 12th may cause our posts to be saved but not displayed. Who knows until it happens.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

ParaSait

03 August 2008 14:56 (UK time)

Yeah, that's also possible. In any case, I think there is no problem with the data stored on the server, so no missing posts etc...

When it's fixed, I guess the post order will be OK too.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

03 August 2008 18:25 (UK time)

The strange thing is that the old posts (before august) are in the correct order.
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

Spy

03 August 2008 19:52 (UK time)

If Anybody Can Read This: This Is Such An Annoying Problem!!!

ParaSait

03 August 2008 20:13 (UK time)

We can read this, Naval War. There is no problem with the posts themselves, only the date is wrong =)

DarkRain

04 August 2008 10:49 (UK time)

I hope this bug will be fixed soon.

Hopefully I have found a WiFi zone and I can write posts on my pocket pc. Unfortunately I don't know how often I will be able to go to that place.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

ParaSait

04 August 2008 13:06 (UK time)

OH NO! THE FORUM IS DESTROYED AND CAN NEVER BE FIXED AGAIN!!!!
April fools!!

Oh, wait a sec... It's not REALLY April today... Sorry! XD

Spy

04 August 2008 15:23 (UK time)

Oh, Not Again!!! Deja Vu! Time Jumper Returns! =D

40oz
 Official Sponsor

05 August 2008 02:17 (UK time)

only 4 more months left before the end of the forums, we need James here, stat!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 05 August 2008 02:20

Canuck

05 August 2008 03:32 (UK time)

Hey....on the real August 8th, the forum will show the right date (08/08/08--it can't screw that one up, can it?), but on August 9th, it'll be wrong again!

James Bunting
07 August 2008 12:34 (UK time)

lol

ParaSait

07 August 2008 14:25 (UK time)

Hey did anyone notice that this topic is in the Meteor 1.2 bugs section? It should be in 'Forum'!

Spy

09 August 2008 17:10 (UK time)

Sorry! My Bad!

Canuck

09 August 2008 18:59 (UK time)

Was there even a 'forum' section when this happened?

ParaSait

09 August 2008 23:43 (UK time)

Khe, I think there wasn't actually =D

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use